free used rv price value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

susucosp

i have come across a www.nadaguides.com which they give you a suggested list price, low retail price, average retail price, what is the suggested list price here mean as the price are far bigger than the low retail price and average retail price.  is this website give you a fair estimate on RV like the Kelly Blue Book value on cars?

there are so models ( that there are some models not there ) and so many options to choose from?

any better free website to give you a fair estimate?

NADA is the gold standard of used RV values and the ones most of us here use.

There is one problem. There is a notice on their website a lot of people do not notice and therefore get the prices wrong:

Option note: Only select options below that are in addition to standard equipment and equipment noted in the manufacturer or year notes show above. If you are uncertain of what came standard, please contact your manufacturer with your VIN.

What this means is that the only options you add to the base price are ones added by the owner after he took possession. Items like a satellite dish or a Tire pressure monitoring system. Do not add in any amount for standard items like refrigerator, A/C, microwave or oven. If it came with the unit when it was new then it is not an option.

The suggested list price is the price on the sticker the day it was sold. Low and high retail are average prices paid for that model currently. And the guide assumes that the RV is in great condition with good tires. If not then you deduct from the price a fair amount.

Just a caution: NADA RV values on the public site are based on average depreciation and do not always reflect current market prices. A very popular model may sell for more than what the RV Guide shows. You need to buy the dealer edition of the NADA Used RV Book to get vales based on sales prices.

The "Suggested list price" that NADA provides is the approximate suggested dealer selling price (MSRP) that the manufacturer supplied when the RV was new.

You can always view the dealer's NADA guides at a public library.

The other caution is that these are not adjusted very often, but retail prices vary significantly depending on time of the year, or location, etc.

Ed

Seilerbird, I got conflicting reports from a dealer concerning options.  He said if it was listed on the sticker price as an option; ie, full body paint, power awning, etc, that it should be considered under the NADA guide.  These options are upgrades from standard items.  Why wouldn't a fully loaded coach be worth more than one that did not come with as many options?  Makes sense to me, but who am I ?????

Jerry, your asking price has nothing to do with the price that someone is willing to pay.

If it won't sell at your price, keep it or lower your price. Depends on your willingness/necessity to make a deal.

If you are a great salesman you may have a better chance.

Carson FL

washtubman said:
Seilerbird, I got conflicting reports from a dealer concerning options.  He said if it was listed on the sticker price as an option; ie, full body paint, power awning, etc, that it should be considered under the NADA guide.  These options are upgrades from standard items.  Why wouldn't a fully loaded coach be worth more than one that did not come with as many options?  Makes sense to me, but who am I ?????

That is because the dealer is trying to sell you an RV at an inflated price. Of course he is going to do everything in his power to jack the price up as high as possible.

Have you ever visited an RV dealership and looked at the new rigs? There is no such thing as an RV that doesn't come fully loaded. RV dealerships don't really have a nice large stock on hand of new RVs anyway. 99% are special ordered. If you are going to spend $200K on a new RV are you going to go down and pick one off the lot or special order one? The RVs on the dealers lots are really there to show you what it looks like. When you find the floorplan you like then you are going to want the exterior colors, the interior colors and the woods to be exactly what you want. And you are going to want it equipped exactly as you want it. It was during the tour of the Winnebago factory in Iowa that I was told that almost every RV on their production line was special order.

Most all RV options have a life of about 5 years. Because of all the bouncing around a RV does on the road it is really hard on your refer, A/Cs, mircowaves and such. So if you are looking at a used RV just assume the appliances are not going to last very long, if they work at all.

The dealer wasn't trying to sell me anything.  I already have a coach.  I simply asked him if someone (private) is going to sell their unit, what determines their asking price.  And 5 years on options?  I have had 3 motorhomes more than 5 years old and everything still worked fine. 

NADA prices are "as typically equipped". Besides, the dealer won't give you a dime extra for options at trade-in time, so why should you pay extra when buying retail?

The fact is that very few of the options on a MSRP list add much value in the resale market.  Occasionally you will find a basic model that has a major option such as full body paint or diesel vs gas, and that is big enough to make a difference in the price. But most RVs come pretty well equipped and the add-ons are small, e.g. some window awnings, an extra vent fan, a bit larger fridge, etc. All those things rolled together are maybe worth an extra few hundred $, if that. Easily lost in the total.

Sure, a nicely equipped and shiny rig sells for a bit more than a basic ratty one, but that's pretty much the difference between Low Retail and Average Retail.

Back
Top Bottom