King-Dome Automatic Satellite System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayouTiger

I have a King Dome model 9704-LP installed on the RV that is no longer locking onto a satellite. I have Direct TV, which I called for help, but received nothing but continued request for me to reset my satellite search. I am still unsure what part of Automatic Satellite System they did not understand. Well, moved on from them and cancelled their service and starting with DISH.

But, regardless, the satellite system is still not locking onto a satellite, so I called King Dome.  I received excellent tech support, but still not working.

I am in southern Louisiana and wondering if someone has a suggestion for on site service?

Thanks

When we had that trouble with our dish I called the mfg of the dish.I think it was wingard.they sent out a local rep to my house. He climbed up on top of the motorhome and tested some stuff.said it was the gps recover for the dish.even replaced it free of charge. I told him I bought the motorhome used with it already on there.still free ;)

First, your dome has to be told (programmed) to tell it what satellite to search for. Dish uses different ones than Direct. Did the King Dome tech verify what satellites yours is currently set up for?  What was the conclusion of this "excellent tech support"? How did they explain why it was still not locking onto the correct satellite?  Or did they claim it was and that something else was wrong?

Second, when you say it doesn't lock on, I assume that means the dome keeps on searching forever. Is that the problem? If not, what is the symptom?

Third, is this a new problem or has the dome never worked  right for you?

Fourth, what is the year, make and model of RV?

the man we bought the motorhome from said the dome never worked,once the tech replaced the gps reciever it worked,he said if the dish doesn't know where it is ,it doesn't know where to look for the satilites,makes sence.good luck :),like Gary said it has to be set up for dish or direct

Most domes do not have a GPS chip - they just search till they find a signal, then use DVB to see if it is the right one. Top of the line models have a GPS chip to cut down the search time. I don't see any mention of a GPS chip in the 9704, but I could be wrong about that.

Here is the install manual for the 9704-LP. It shows how to re-configure the dome for Dish satellites instead of Direct TV (the default set-up).
http://www.kingcontrols.com/userfiles/file/1335%20Rev%20H,%209704%209704-LP%2011-24-09.pdf

Not only do you need the correct satellite signal; but also the correct satellite style i.e. round, oblong, eliptic (spelling) etc.  If you don't choose the correct one, it won't lock onto a satellite signal either. 

About 3 years ago, we exchanged our old receivers for new ones.  We have Direct TV and an automatic King Dome and could not get that thing to lock on.  The new receivers have a long list of dish style-types, so we kept trying one until it found the signal.  You can learn a lot by watching the "signal strength" in the set-up section of the unit. 

What we found was when we had Direct TV High Def installed in our house, which locks onto 3 signals, and then tried to take the bedroom receiver and put it into the coach, which does not have High Def, we needed to change the satellite dish style in order for the unit to connect.  It was looking for all the satellite signals for high def; instead of just one.  Once we choose the correct satellite dish style, it found the signal.

Ours does not have to have a gps to work, it looks for the signal.  If it doesn't find it, it moves on to the next one until it finds the correct connection.  It helps to watch the signal strength in the set up mode as it is searching to see if you are getting close.  This is not a plug and play system and the new receivers made it more difficult!

Marsha~

Marsha is absolutely right on.  There are many variables and I would question whether the person "helping" you was knowlegeable enough.  The shape of the dish, whether it is DirecTV or Dish, whether it is HDTV - they're all important and affect how it works or does not work.

ArdraF

Gary RV Roamer said:
First, your dome has to be told (programmed) to tell it what satellite to search for. Dish uses different ones than Direct. Did the King Dome tech verify what satellites yours is currently set up for?  What was the conclusion of this "excellent tech support"? How did they explain why it was still not locking onto the correct satellite?  Or did they claim it was and that something else was wrong?

Second, when you say it doesn't lock on, I assume that means the dome keeps on searching forever. Is that the problem? If not, what is the symptom?

Third, is this a new problem or has the dome never worked  right for you?

Fourth, what is the year, make and model of RV?

#1 - The tech person for KingDome really had no idea as to why it was not locking onto the correct satellite or I should say not locking on any satellite. I gave him a rating of excellent tech support after spending hours with the yahoos from Direct TV...laughing. The King Dome tech did identify the correct satellite, but we could never make the system lock onto it. We detached all cables/wires and reattached, thinking that might solve the problem, but it did not.  I tried today with the new DISH system, but still no luck.

#2 - You are correct, it just continues to search and never locks onto a satellite.  I can hear it continuing to move around searching for a satellite and also the signal light on the control panel continues to blink green as it continues to search.

#3 - The dome worked great from the start. Then, about 3 weeks ago while parked at a LSU game, I turned off everything to allow the generator to cool for 30 minutes so I could check the oil.  Upon turning the generator back on, the problem began with the dome not locating a satellite.

#4 - My RV is a 2009 Allegro Open Road

Top of the line models have a GPS chip to cut down the search time.

Gary,

I don't consider my Winegard Carryout a top of the line model, but do you know whether or not it has a GPS chip?

Thanks,
Bill

I can't find anything that says yea or nay, but for the price I sincerely doubt it.  If it has to search for more than a minute to find the satellite, it doesn't have a gps built in.

our kingdome worked one time since 07, have had boards replaced, and even had to have the whole unit sent back and got a replacement, yet it still doesn't work, I told the tech who worked on it to just forget about it I'll just look for a park with cable... I told him I guess we didn't spend enough money on the Mh to get a working unit the first time.

now we have a beautiful black dome that doesn't do anything....kinda like perry(for those of you who have kids..young kids)lol

I can't find anything that says yea or nay, but for the price I sincerely doubt it.  If it has to search for more than a minute to find the satellite, it doesn't have a gps built in.

Gary,

Like you, I doubt it. However, Winegard's literature says it uses the previous location in searching, so if you drive only 300 miles or so between uses, it will be fairly quick. If you drive across the country between uses, it will take longer. I have found that it is very sensitive to trees in the way - it doesn't like even the smallest interruption of signal.

Bill

We have been using our King Dome since 2003 and often it took several minutes (lots) to search and find a satellite signal.  There is a page in the King Dome manual that gives instructions on how to move the internal antenna to the area where you are located based on latitude.  Our manual did not have that page but when were at a FMCA rally we had a King Dome Tech look at our system.  He asked if we had that page...we didn't...he gave us one.  Having that information made a huge difference in how quickly the dome would find a satellite.  It's all done with the hand held remote unit.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom