Stripping & painting metal RV steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
My RV's exterior steps look nasty... paint chipped, flaked, rusty metal showing (see photo).  I've periodically painted over exposed rust in the past, but it always comes back through.  I've had the fabric step covers before, but they eventually ripped apart and I think they probably trapped moisture against the metal surface which made the rusting process worsen.

There is a rough textured rectangular surface on each step, for traction when walking up.  This week I'm planning on stripping and repainting the steps, with a Rustoleum textured spray paint.  It should look pretty decent, be protected for some amount of time against rust invasion.

I know the best idea would  be to remove the steps completely from the RV and disassemble them for the project... but I don't really have the time for that as we have our final camping trip of the season this weekend.  My plan is to remove as much visible paint as possible with a stripping pad on my angle grinder, then prime and paint the visible surfaces.  Anything else I should do?  Anyone ever done this kind of refinishing?

Attachments

• DSC03771.JPG
    DSC03771.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 64
We've repainted our steps with Rustoleum and use the carpet pads on the steps.

Scott, hardware stores sell a 'paint' that turns rust into a primer. Can't recall the name, but a neighbor gave me a partial spray can that he'd used.

I've used that rust->primer spray in the past Tom.  The instructions still say that all visible existing loose rust should be removed first, so I'll proceed with that.

I've always had great luck with Krylon's Rust Tough "zinc rich primer", then I topcoat with what ever color Rustoleum I want. I use it in battery boxes after grinding out all the rust, works well and is available in most parts stores.

You can get the rust convertor at WALLY WORLD. Just get the big loose stuff off and it will work fine turning the rest into a hard surface to paint. I would a wire brush on the grinder it will go faster and get into some of the tighter areas better.

You have to get the existing rust off of the metal will continue to oxidize beneatth the new paint.  Wire brush on an electric drill will work, but you're eventually going to have to take the steps apart to get all the rust around the "risers".  OSPHO is a mild phosphoric acid (which is available as a generic brand at auto refinishing supply stores for a lot less $$$) which will etch a clean (i.e. rust free) surface for better paint adhesion.

Our local ACE hardware sells a pure zinc primer and Krylon makes a high zinc-content primer.  For a fast job, I'd work the drill, hard, for as long as I can, use the high zinc content primer, and then paint.

Long term, tho' you have to pretty much strip those babies and repaint from bare metal or the rust will keep coming back in a few weeks or months.  You might find someone who bead-blasts automobile parts who can strip all the paint - for a reasonable price - without having to disassemble the steps.

How can you get the tred tape off of the steps?  That looks like the most difficult part.

cliston said:
How can you get the tred tape off of the steps?  That looks like the most difficult part.

Mine is essentially part of the paint layer... it's not attached or glued to the step otherwise.  I'll be able to peel it right off in one big sheet with the paint, prior to stripping the metal.

If it were attached on its own, I would probably just paint over it with the textured spray paint.  Wouldn't hurt anything and would just add an extra amount of traction I suppose.

I'd strip and paint as energetically as I could then paint with the best paint I could find and replace the non-skid with some I bought at the local hardware store. Paint alone will be slippery when wet. Then, I'd remember to relube the pivot points because the thinners and cleaners and other stuff used prior to painting will take the lube off too.

Ken

I wonder if you could use a product such as "Herculiner" to paint the steps with.
Many of us Jeep guys use it to line the interior floors etc to protect the metal from
rust.  It's very similar to the spray on bed liner material, but it is applied with a
roller or brush.  From their reports, it is very durable and water resistant.

For that matter you might clean your steps good and take them to your local spray
bed liner dealer and see what they would charge to coat them for you.  Of course
you will likely need to protect pivot points and points where close clearance may be
an issue as the  coating may be up to 1/16 inch thick or more.  The dealer will know
more about that.

I have no real experience with the Herculiner product, but many on the Jeep Forum
really like it and I intend to coat my interior before next summer.

Final trip for the season this weekend?  This is what I would do...

Clean up the steps a bit and hit it with a spray bomb to make it through the last trip without too much embarrassment.
Upon return, remove them and you now have a small Winter project.  Have them blasted, powder coated (much more durable), new attachment hardware, etc.  Or take the time to grind them down yourself over the cold months, prime, paint, reinstall with new hardware in the Spring.

Otherwise, check the price of a new one.  You have all Winter to do so.  If you don't have the time to do the work yourself (or don't feel like doing it) and don't want to pay for blasting and powder coating, maybe finding a good deal on a new one is your answer.

Back
Top Bottom