How do I change tranny fluid on an Allison?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenhmiller

I bought my Dutchstar 4095 over the summer and have used it a couple of times. I had the engine oil changed by Speedco, but they don't change automatic tranny fluids. So, I bought the Transynd and filters and am looking to do it myself. Where can I find a good "how-to" document or website for doing this?

It's a 2002 Dutchstar 4095 with Cummins 350 on a Spartan chassis. Tranny is Allison. Not sure which model though.

Thanks!

I would recommend one of 2 options:
Go to the Allison web site and download a document outlining how to change oil and filters.
Take it to an Allison-certified shop and have them do it, knowing they will do it properly.

This article may help:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6386807_change-fluid-allison-transmission.html

You probably have an Allison 3000MH, which may be different in detail than the article above.

Gary RV Roamer said:
This article may help:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6386807_change-fluid-allison-transmission.html

You probably have an Allison 3000MH, which may be different in detail than the article above.

I assume I have to drive the coach around first to get it hot, right?
Thanks Gary.

Not a big deal,, but MAKE SURE you have a 7 gallon container to drain into,, this isnt your fathers transmission,, its said that you will loose about 14 quarts of fluid but I had to replace about 16 quarts in mine.>>>Dan

I got the 5 gallon + 1 gallon containers of Transyn. I have a tall bucket for the oil, from my pool chlorine. Need to be sure it will fit though!

Fortunately the trans is high off the surface and most pails fit under it. Draining by removing the plug is no problem, but dropping the filters can be messier, you will be removing bolts and covers to remove the filters and you will be getting more fluid out then.>>>Dan

Hi Ho:  You didn't say why you wanted to change the fluid.  The real problem is that fluid in the torque converter is difficult to change, so you don't really get it all changed.  A transmission shop will have the equipment to get it all out if you care.  Anyway, have fun.
Dirk

There are different filters for the Transyn than for the non-synthetic fluid.  I believe that the Transyn filter are in a gold box.

No such thing.>>>Dan  (you should buy only Allison filter kit # 29540494, 29538231, 29538232, which fits your MD3060 or 3000MH, same trans.  This kit has the 4" filters and gaskets) The high flow filters are for 2010 and later.

There are different filters for the Transyn than for the non-synthetic fluid.  I believe that the Transyn filter are in a gold box.

Same filter for Transynd or dino fluids, but the new trannys are using different filters than older ones.

How often should it be changed?

Follow the change interval in the Allison manual for your coach. Or use the Allison website's excellent Change Interval calculator:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/changeinterval/

The other way is to have the fluid analyzed by a professional oil analysis company and change when the chemical analysis indicates the fluid is no longer clean and effective.

RobertR,

Since this is a 'new to you' unit and you may not have the info on the previous oil/tranny fluid changes, do it now! and you will then be able to follow the manufacturers recommended practices.

I know, I know,  $$$ :)

I have to concur about having an Allison certified shop do it for the first time.
This is not that expensive and their equipment can read any 'codes' in your tranny
history and let you know what is going on in there.  Some things are best left to
those who know best and have the right tools and diagnostic equipment. 

I think after having it done if you want to change it yourself, you certainly can.
I may change mine later, but for now I had it done, they set the shift points in the
transmission and also read my trouble codes ( there were none ) so I am a 'happy camper',
literally.

Just MHO

The PO has said he has the fluid and tools to do the job,, its not rocket science and he probably doesn't have any codes to read,, takes less than an hour to do and the only down side is old fluid disposal.That can be done at most auto parts store.>>>Dan

As a DIY person, I recommend and like "oil drain valves" with nipples; you simply attach a clear hose and drain as much as your bucket, etc. can handle. LESS MESS  8) Recently ordered one for my C12; they are a quality product and really bulletproof. Also, make it easy to take an oil sample; open the drain, let a quart run out to ensure clean oil and take your sample. Ordered mine from http://www.oildrainvalve.net/

Vito & Kathy
99 Beaver Patriot Thunder
C12 w/ Allison 4000

stevenhmiller said:
I bought my Dutchstar 4095 over the summer and have used it a couple of times. I had the engine oil changed by Speedco, but they don't change automatic tranny fluids. So, I bought the Transynd and filters and am looking to do it myself. Where can I find a good "how-to" document or website for doing this?

It's a 2002 Dutchstar 4095 with Cummins 350 on a Spartan chassis. Tranny is Allison. Not sure which model though.

Thanks!

Below is a pretty decent step by step procedure.  It is not difficult but make sure you use the EXACT o-rings/gaskets that come off of your transmission.  The filter kits usually come with both styles.

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/transmissions/allison_overview.htm

Also make sure to torque the main and lube filter housings to specification.  I have had to repair several over the last couple of years where people have tightened them too much and stripped the threads out of the transmission case.  The torque should be 38-45 ft/lbs.

As far as service intervals go, Allison recommends in the MD3000/4000 if using TES295 fluid to change at 75k miles or 36 months.  I change mine at 4 years after taking oil samples and confirming all is well.  I changed mine when we first purchased it in 2007 @ 55k miles and then again this past spring 2011 @ 85k miles.  Everything still looked great but I don't think I would run it much longer than 48 months.

I have a few clients that insist on pushing theirs out further but I don't recommend it. 

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom