Pickup Auxillary Fuel Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rogertre

I'm thinking about installing a 40 gallon auxillary fuel tank in my 2007 GMC 2500HD. Questions abound:

Does this sound like a unsafe idea for a "gasser" pickup?
Will the additional 300 lbs in pickup make any significant difference in the driving/brakeing?
Do most 5th wheel people have "aux tanks"? (as I've been led to believe)
Any information or experience will be helpful.
We are planning a 6000 mile trip next spring/summer and an aux tank would be real helpful.

I have basically the exact same truck except a Chevy. I imagine your truck is the same as mine with the 26 gallon gas tank. When I'm pulling my 5th wheel I only get about 10-11 MPG......260 miles per fill-up isn't very far. I've considered getting an axillary tank too. I haven't done much research on them, but in my mind they can't be too unsafe or they wouldn't be legal to have. Let me know if/when you get one and how you like it.

I have a 2009 diesel Silverado Crewcab shortbox and pull a 31' fifth wheel toy hauler. It has a 24 gallon tank so I thought that when I go out west I would find myself in the middle of nowhere and out of gas. I had a 37 Gallon aux tank installed so now I have 60 gallons when I fill up. Company I used is called Transfer Flow and the system has a computer and display that monitors both tanks and automatically pumps to keep the main tank full. This tank was also designed to work with a Pace Edwards rolling tonneau cover so I had both installed. The aux tank system cost around $1800. Used it this summer to go out to Sturgis and it worked like a charm. While it isn't the least expensive system out there I think you get what you pay for and I am a happy camper.

For Gas i think you need a transfer tank rated for flammable liquids to be legal it cannot be connected to the trucks fuel system.
I would research it more before buying.

Diesel is a whole different set of rules.

I have a 75 gallon Transfer Flow tank in the back of my truck and wouldn't be without it.  I doubt it would be legal for Gas, however they do make replacement tanks that I believe go up to 45 gallons. 

It was a lifesaver when we drove to Alaska last summer.  It kept us from filling up in those out of the way locations where the fuel cost was very high.  We were able to drive the Haul road from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and back without filling up.  In Alaska, if you can fuel up only in Fairbanks and Anchorage, the fuel is much cheaper.

Well it does not look to good for gas in a auxiliary tank, to expensive for a truck I plan to replace in two years. I will upgrade to a diesel at that time and get a auxiliary tank. A good research/learning project to be sure. I'll be going 60 mph and filling up every 175 miles for a couple of years.
Does anyone carry a couple of gallons in a plastic gas can in the basement of thier campers? Does not sound like a great idea but neither does getting fuel with a camper in tow.
Thanks for the inputs.

I would have no qualms about carrying those plastic gas cans (or 2) tied down in the back of a truck. Just not in the camper because of fumes!!!

Transferflow makes aux tanks for GMC pick-ups and also extra large replacement tanks. They all meet federal and California vehicle fuel system safety specs too. But they aren't inexpensive and probably too much if you aren't keeping the truck several years.

http://www.transferflow.com/GM_fuel_tank_systems.html

Carrying a fuel can or two is good for an emergency reserve, but of little value in extending your driving range. Stopping to pour fuel into the tank forma jerry can is more hassle than stopping at a fuel station. And then when you stop you have to fill the truck and the spare cans as well.

Probably your best bet is to stop for fuel every 200 miles. Time to stretch your legs and take a nature break anyway. We stop that often (and usually even sooner than that) even though our rig sports a 150 gallon tank.

Gary: understand about the break every 200 miles completely. The biggest pain with towing a 5er is the fuel stops, my limited experience fueling has not been plesant. Truck stops are okay but still conjested when you are close to 50 feet long. The more experience we get the easier things get, maybe that will hold true for fuel stops.
How stupid would it look to have a 5er parked in a church parking lot with the DW/PO'edW standing guard while I was off fueling, I can see the day coming.

We towed a 30 foot 5W ourselves for a time, so I understand the frustration. The modern station design with the pump lanes perpendicular to the convenience store is definitely not RV friendly, whether trailer or motorhome. If possible, find a station where the pump lanes  parallel the front of the store (and the road too). That probably means you have to start looking for a fuel stop well before the 200 miles, in case you don't find one where you will fit.

Truck stops are a good alternative and Pilot/Flying J stops usually have an RV lane. Stoill may be congested, though.

Patience and planning your exit are really required to refuel while towing. I try to plan how i'm going to get out of the station before i commit to entering it and if that dosen't work you may have to wait for someone to leave or move. I really like the rv lanes at flying j but they can get croweded too.

To give an idea of how I planned the last trip to Tampa. I went on Google maps to exit 44 on I-4 and found a Luv's truckstop that was nice size for a 5er, used it going and coming. Will try and do that as much as possible.

Before you poo poo the idea all together, look into the fuel savings as well.

My wife and I made a trip to California over the summer.  I took along one of my 100 gallon aux tanks and filled it at the cheapest stations I could find.  I used the gas buddy app before we left and found diesel for $3.69 in Grand Junction.  By filling the tank there versus here at home for $3.85, I saved about $15.  I drew off the tank and topped it off in Mesquite, NV for $3.65.  That tank was enough fuel to get me all the way to the beach and back to Mesquite.  I filled the truck tank in Grand Junction and rolled up to the house with an empty 100 gallon aux tank and 1/4 tank left in the truck.

If I didn't have the tank, I would have had to fill up at one or two stations in California where diesel was $4.00+.  I estimate the fuel savings for this one trip at well over $100.

lone star - I'm sure that works fine for diesel, but for now I use "gas" and gasoline is a good bit more difficult regularion wise as well as wallelt wise.

rogertre said:
lone star - I'm sure that works fine for diesel, but for now I use "gas" and gasoline is a good bit more difficult regularion wise as well as wallelt wise.

I have used my 50 gal gas aux tank in 49 states and 6 Provence's without any problems including Californian and Oregon where you can't pump your own fuel.

Denny 

I guess all Gas Stations are eager to sell you as much fuel as possible....without liability. Do we need another law ?

Carson FL

I have a Transfer Flow 50 gal. Aux. tank and I couldn't be happier, yes they are not cheap but you get what you pay for, and they re legal.  You might get a book called "The Next Exit"  as it will tell you where there fuel stops that will accomodate your rig.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom