Carport - Review: Coast to Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holleydays

We have a 2007 Gulfstream Crescendo; 38ft.  We ordered an 41'x18' A-Frame carport from Coast to Coast Carports to be installed on a professionally installed gravel pad 60'x20'. We live in Graham Wa.

We are extremely frustrated with the business practices of Coast to Coast Carports and the installation companies they hire to complete the jobs. 4 Reschedules, 2 material shortages, lack of common sense, and poor business practices.  I apologize for the long rant.  We wish we would have performed better research prior to purchase.  We are forced to settle for less than what was promised.  Other customers have posted similar complaints with no recovery.  The choice was to stress over dealing with incompetent companies, or settling for ok and warning other potential customers.  So, here is the saga....

-  1st scheduled date = no show, no excuse.
-  Rescheduled date 1, one week later = no show, fender bender excuse.
-  Rescheduled date 2, next day = short material (short 1 bow, 3 legs, 4 fittings, 3 brackets, and all the sheet metal.  Inventory performed by your's truly).  The installers left the material they came with on the front lawn.  Tail lights were the last we saw of them.  We moved the material into the garage - prime target for metal thieves.  Oh ya - there were no dents on the work truck.
-  Rescheduled date 3, one week later.  The installers showed up at 5:30pm.  They drove onto our grass and got stuck.  (Why they did not use our driveway is a mystery.  It is parallel to the pad and can fit three 40ft rv's.) We spent 1.5 hrs digging and towing them out of their grave.  They also forgot their flood lights so we went out and bought some.  Due to the late hour and downpours we agreed that they come back the next morning.
-  Rescheduled date 4, next day.  Three hours into the install, they realized that they were short siding.  They are unable to commit to a recovery date. (Story: installers are unlikely to come out this way for 2 sheets of material and 1 hour of labor.) Bummer - one side of the carport is missing siding until who-knows-when. 

During all of this, it was virtually impossible to get a hold of a representative that could give us recovery dates and time frames.  The best any representative could offer was "I understand your frustration"...click. 

In summary: research, research, research.  Consider ordering material and hiring your own installers.

PS - The gravel pad was installed by Hi-Tech Landscaping.  We highly recommend this company. 

Happy Holleydays :)

Sorry for your troubles holleydays.  Too late for you but maybe I can save somebody else some frustration.  I live on Whidbey Island and got a carport from West Coast Buildings inc. and had a very good experience as have several people I know.  In my case I ordered from a local representative.  He had all the brochures with all the options listed.  I picked my size and options and paid him 10% of the total.  The company is from Oregon and they wait until they get 4 or 5 orders from the same location then launch a crew with all the materiel's.  Prior to delivery they called me and set a time/date.  They arrived on time and were finished within 3 hours.  The site prep is your responsibility and they will put it how you want it, where you  want it.  I'm very satisfied with this carport.  When they were done I paid them the balance owed. They did a good clean up and took all scrap with them but I did find quite a few dropped sheet metal screws.  So far no flat tires so I must have got them all! A word of caution, my brother is a city boy and had to remove his carport because of the lack of proper paper work. He had to pay a private contractor to dismantle his carport and now it sits in pieces in his back yard.  Do your paper work!!

Thank you for your responses.  You did save us by pointing out leftover screws.  We toured the carport prior to pulling in the rig and found 20+ screws.  Thank you!  We did our homework and are aware of paperwork issues with Pierce County.  Which is why we installed a gravel pad and shelter.  From our understanding, neither are considered a permanent structure so we do not have to deal with permit issues. We will put out a good word for West Coast Buildings inc.

I didn't think I would ever hear the name Coast to Coast again.  I had them install a carport.  They installed the wrong color and I didn't win in getting them to change it.  I filled a gallon paint can of left over screws.  Never again for that company.

Holleydays, welcome to the forum neighbor (Tacoma)! Sorry to hear about what happened to you but unfortunately I have to tell you how pleased I am with Coast To Coast. I had exactly the opposite experience but I did do a lot of research to get in a better position so to speak. I checked about 8 different companies (incl. West Coast) and they were the lowest cost because of their discounts as of October. It was a 3 man crew and they did an exceptional job. I made them email the contract to me and I had them add specifics before I would give them the 10% down payment. I also made sure to email back and forth with the company reps on all the specifics so there were no misunderstandings. I also did a 41? x 18? and insisted the contract contain the following:
A Saturday install, first on the list with contact numbers of reps.
All certified, wet stamp Dwgs, per location (not general) at 90 mph wind & 60 psf snow, 12 Ga frame & 29 Ga sheet metal..
No final payment to installers, only C to C, which meant Mon. after install and my inspection.
Minimum gable height, color, etc. etc.
They arrived from OR at 10am and left at 6:30pm. Except for dropped screws in the gravel it was an exceptional job. Don?t know if it was my requirements and discussion before the down payment or I was just lucky but sorry to hear your story. Hope you withheld final payment to get what you needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondie1956!
Back
Top Bottom