RVing message boards > Motorhomes

Diesel Pusher storage

<< < (3/3)

Tom:
I add biocide to our diesel tanks if I anticipate a long period of storage. Helps prevent the growth of algae. Here's one example of biocide. Filling up the tank before storage helps limit moisture.

4ducksrus:
What about when you're staying in it for months at a time?  I know that the batteries will all be charging since we will be plugged into 50 AMPS, but what about the engine and the generator...do you start them while you're parked or are they fine left off?  TIA...sorry, if it's a stupid question, but it's one I hadn't thought of before now!!  LOL

Mikie

Ned:
We just fill the tank before parking for a lengthy stay and don't add anything.  It's a good idea to run the generator about once a month, under load, for long enough to get it up to temperature, but don't run the engine unless you're going to drive it far enough to get it up temperature.  Just idling an engine is worse for it than leaving it off.

4ducksrus:
Ned,  Which tank are you referring to?  Gas/water?   Thanks for the info.  We will be staying in ours for 10 weeks straight.

Mikie

Ned:
Fuel.  We also keep a half tank of fresh water when parked in case of a water outage.  We park for months at a time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version