Front airbag delayed inflation on 2000 American Dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Walters

When I took my coach out this weekend to exercise it and weigh it at a nearby scales, I had an issue with one of the front airbags not inflating.  I drove it for several miles and noticed that it was riding rough and seemed to not handle very well and was leaning on the drivers side.  When I stopped at the scales, I parked and walked to the front and it was very obvious that the coach was leaning on the drivers side.  I looked underneath and could see that the left front airbag was not inflated.  I got back in the coach and hit the switch to let the air out of the bags and let it go all the way down.  Then I inflated the bags again and got out to look.  No joy, still leaning on that side.  I looked underneath from the back of the left front tire to see if I could see anything wrong and while I was looking the airbag started to inflate and rose to it's correct height. 

After I weighed it, I drove it for about 20 miles and the ride and handling were fine this time.  After going back home I checked it again and the airbag was still inflated.

Has anyone ever had an airbag that delayed inflation this way and what would cause that to happen?  Is there anything I need to be concerned about or have repaired before I take it on a week long trip week after next?

Dan

If your chassis is a Freightliner the leveling system system has dump valves that will stick if left for awhile. I have replaced a couple of ours over 10 years that were taking longer than normal to close and allow the bag to inflate. they are not too expensive, forty dollars or so for the last one.

I'm not sure I would do anything unless it continues to occur.

Thanks Jeff.  Mine is on the Spartan Mountain Master chassis.  Do you know where the dump valves are located?  Did you change them out yourself and if so is it hard to do.  Thanks again.

Dan

Dan,, you may have the height control valve on the left front sticking, they are made of plastic and develop cracks.>>>Dan

Thanks Dan.  I kind of thought that might be it but wasn't sure if that caused my problem.  Do you know where the ride height control valve is located and if it is easy to change out?  I have not looked under the coach yet for it so I may have to just get under there and find it.  Thanks for your input.

Dan

Dan Walters said:
Thanks Jeff.  Mine is on the Spartan Mountain Master chassis.  Do you know where the dump valves are located?  Did you change them out yourself and if so is it hard to do.  Thanks again.

Dan

On our system one each up over the front wheels ond one mounted over the center of their rear axle. On some they are reversed, one on the front ad two on the rear axle.

Dan Walters said:
Thanks again Jeff.  I'll look for them over the front wheels.

Dan

I guess a more accurate description would be just inboard. They are easy to find with the lines running to the airbags.

When I comparison drove the 2002 American coach and Travel Supreme, I found a very different handling feel between them, even tho they both were on the Spartan Mountain Master GT chassis. I learned from Spartan that there was a difference between the two chassis, American insisted on one front air leveler and two rear as opposed to Spartan's preferred two front and one rear as on the TS. I don't remember what year Ron Ruward's Eagle was, it was a couple of years older, but he always insisted that his chassis had the 2 front and 1 rear setup.

In looking for replacement ride height controll valves I found these.  Has anyone used these and did they make any difference in the ride and handling of your coach over the regular controll valves?  The price seems kind of high ($300 per pair) but if they are better I might consider replacing the ones I have with these.  Thanks.

Dan

Attachments

• Comfort_Ride_Control_Valves3.jpg
    Comfort_Ride_Control_Valves3.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 25
I've never seen these, but it is an interesting concept,, almost like a shock absorber system, but won't function as the height control valves.>>>D

We have the Motion Control Units, similar but from Henderson's Lineup.  They did make a noticeable difference in the bouncing when going up or down a drive and over speed bumps.  They are not a replacement for the ride height valves as mentioned above.

Thanks Dan and Ned.  I see now that they are not ride height control valves but just motion control valves.  Might consider adding those as well as replacing the ride height valves.

Dan

Dan Walters said:
In looking for replacement ride height controll valves I found these.  Has anyone used these and did they make any difference in the ride and handling of your coach over the regular controll valves?  The price seems kind of high ($300 per pair) but if they are better I might consider replacing the ones I have with these.  Thanks.

Dan

If you haven't done so, consider giving Jon Brazell a call at the phone listed.  Good people to talk to and good company repitation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom