EPDM Coatings
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems Sponsored by RV Upgrades width= Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: What are the best Make/Model Class "C" Motorhomes?  (Read 29333 times)

Campfire RV

• ---
What are the best Make/Model Class "C" Motorhomes?
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »
Ok, I have been on this forum a little over a month and researching everywhere for a nice Class "C" MH. I have discovered so many online and within a couple hundred miles from me here in southern California. I don't want to spend a fortune to purchase one but I also don't want a bottom line MH which may turn in to an extreme money pit with repairs and maintenance costs either. From my view of looking at each of the MH's they all appear to be really wonderful vehicles, but when I read some of the posts on here I have noticed there are some that many people really don't care about at all.

This will be my 1st MH ever and I want it to be special and fun for the family. I plan to take this MH out at least once every two months for weekend camping trips, and more than likely 1 or 2 nice long road trips a year. We are a family of 3 and I'm not really looking for anything fancy. Please list the Makes/Models that you feel would be the best fit. We would like a "C" Class around 25ft.

Thank you,
Josh 
Josh
2012 Thor Chateau 28Z
2007 Toyota RAV4 FWD/Remco lube pump
Alpha Tow Bar/Blue Ox base plate
U.S. Navy Retired
Good Sam Life Member

thomasamski

• ---
Re: What are the best Make/Model Class "C" Motorhomes?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
Stay away from the Coachmen brand. They are poorly constructed and problematic.
2011 Fleetwood Southwind pulling a 2010 Chevrolet HHR

rls7201

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
Lazy Daze
Born Free
Many Class C MHs have water leak problems with the over cab extensions. The two brands that I listed are full fiberglass castings and are void of seams on the roof. JMHO

Richard
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:21:33 PM by rls7201 »
Richard Shields
Gladstone, MO
95 Bounder
32H F53

Oldedit

• ---
    • The Business Word
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »
Look at Leisure Travel and Triple E. Quality looks good. But the real question is, which C's have the most reliable appliances and accessories? They're either on Ford or  Mercedes Sprinter Van chassises these days.
2013 Itasca Reyo T 2012-
2006 Roadtrek Adventurous Mercedes (Freightliner)
Colorado 2009-2012
Member Colorado Columbines WIT Chapter
http://www.businessword.com/

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:47:19 PM »
I 2nd Richard. A used Born Free or Lazydaze with their steel roll cages can't be beat for quality and safety by most new anything else. They go fast. Both factory websites have links to new units and RVSearch.com or rvt.com will search for them and allow you to leave an active search.
Adiós. . .

Bob †

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Rio Communities NM, just east of the Rio Grande

demoon

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 10:51:01 PM »
Take a look at the new company, Nexus RV.  They only make class C coaches, and you deal directly with the company. They will build to your specs. There are no dealers, but they will guarantee that they will provide a service facility in your area.
The prices are very competitive and the coaches look great.  No, I do not own one, in fact I have a class A, but if I were ever to consider a C again, I would check them out.

By the way, I did own a class C for 15 years and had no problem with leaks.  Quality construction can easily overcome what was a long standing issue.

http://www.nexusrv.com/

Edit: Fix URL
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:46:02 AM by Ned »

steviebenz

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »
I second the Born Free no-leak roof. Mine is a '95 and I have never had a roof leak. I've had to reseal the windows and doors, but of course these things need maintenance just like a house  ::)
Full-time touring musician/avid RV enthusiast.

1995 22' Born Free. 7.3L Powerstroke. Main mode of travel to 200+ shows per year, cross country.

Scott-0168

• ---
  • Scott & Karen
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »

Winnebago Outlook Class C hands down! You will pay more, but you will see the quality difference once you step inside a Winnebago.

Scott  :)
Home State- Michigan
Winter home-Arcadia, Florida
Motor Home-2003 Pace Arrow 37A
USN-Vietnam Vet.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »
We've owned two LazyDaze class Cs, a 22' and a 30', and loved them both.  They were virtually trouble-free, and never had any roof problems because they're fiberglass.  Ed Newton, the person who started LazyDaze, was originally in the aircraft industry and he was one of the first to use fiberglass sides and roofs.  It is still family owned, now run by Ed's son.  The employees stay forever because it's a good place to work, and their children also come into the business.

You mentioned being in southern California.  LazyDaze is in Montclair/Pomona so a trip to the factory would be well worth your time.  When we originally bought our Lazy Dazes we thought they were a better value than Born Free.  I don't recall the first one having any issues when we got it.  The second one had a toilet hookup wrong (hot water to the toilet!) and it was easily fixed with a phone call to the factory while we were driving home.  One of the two later had an underbay door leak that we didn't know for a long time because we were in one of California's droughts.  LazyDaze fixed it while we were on a trip out of the country.  I don't recall ever having any other problems.  The only reason we sold them was to move up to a Class A diesel pusher.  We've recommended LazyDaze for a long time and would buy another one if we ever returned to a Class C.

ArdraF

ArdraF
:D :D

Molaker

• ---
    • WanderLust
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
Stay away from the Coachmen brand. They are poorly constructed and problematic.
I ressemble that remark.  My Coachmen is older so maybe things have changed since it was built in 2000, but I find the construction to be quite good.  Granted, I had a roof leak problem, but that was because of poor or no maintenance on the part of the PO(s).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:07:43 PM by Molaker »
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 24' class B

billwild

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
Oldedit mentioned Triple E, I had an 1987 28" for 21 years, and had a lot of repairs done in that time. The worst was roof and sidewall leaks. I wish I had known about Eternabond tape when I owned it. That stuff works wonderfully well on roof seams. I could not sell our '87 for much because of the water damage. I would call our Triple E just average for constuction.
2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor---2004 Honda CRV