Towing a jeep Wrangler w/automatic trans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iyamtony

Can you tow a Jeep Wrangler with an automatic transmission with all 4 wheels on the ground with out damage to the tranny. I see a lot of them being towed but havent caught one parked to ask. I have read that you can and you just need to kick the transfer box in neutral. I would like to hear it from someone that actually does it or really knows for sure. Thanks.

Here's the steps you take,

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-145.htm

If it has a neutral position for the transfer case then it is towable. There may be more top the towing procedure depending on the year of the Wrangler, e.g. unlock the steering wheel or remove a fuse to prevent a dead battery. If you would give the year, another Wrangler owner could probably help.  You could also check your owner manual - the info should be in there.

We've towed both an '06 and a 2012 four down. Key in OFF position (1 ccw from run) for the '06 and in my pocket for the 2012. Transfer to NEUTRAL and auto to PARK. No battery problems as long as you don't go more than one day without driving the Jeep to recharge.
Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
We've towed both an '06 and a 2012 four down. Key in OFF position (1 ccw from run) for the '06 and in my pocket for the 2012. Transfer to NEUTRAL and auto to PARK. No battery problems as long as you don't go more than one day without driving the Jeep to recharge.
Ernie
I have an 07 Jeep and the manual says that the battery needs to be disconnected.  Is the 2012 different?

kenb1023 said:
I have an 07 Jeep and the manual says that the battery needs to be disconnected.  Is the 2012 different?

don't know for sure but I think the '07 has a steering lock feature if the ignition key is in the "off" position; the steering lock releases if the ignition key is in the "on" position, which is where it has to be for towing.  When the ignition is "on", the battery won't last very long so either you disconnect the battery or pull the appropriate fuse to stop the battery drain.  I know this is the situation for the '08s.  You can get a key without the security chip for towing if you worry about Jeep theft with the key in the ignition.

Im sorry I should have given the year of my jeep and its a 2010. It looks as though its a go as long as the battery issue is addressed. So its transfer case in neutral tranny in park and of course steering unlocked and probably battery should be disconnected. Thanks for the response guys n gurls.

Be sure and check your owners manual on the sequence, I read somewhere that it is harmful (I believe) to run the engine with the trans in park and the transfer case in neutral (or something like that) Mine's a stick so I didn't pay that much attention.

Water Dog said:
Be sure and check your owners manual on the sequence, I read somewhere that it is harmful (I believe) to run the engine with the trans in park and the transfer case in neutral (or something like that) Mine's a stick so I didn't pay that much attention.
Water Dog.....I have a 2000 Wrangler, 5-speed standard....will be towing this to Fla. this year.  What gear do you put the tranny in when you tow?
Thanks,
Paul

With a standard tranny, put the shifter into a low gear, preferably first. The idea is to immobilize the transmission gears as much as possible so they don't get spun by external forces.

Water Dog said:

The Manual says to put the transfercase in N and start the engine.  Shift to D and release the brake. If there is no movement then all is good.  Shift back to P and shut off the engine.  Same for a manual except you put it in gear and release the clutch.

Jeep is excellent for flat towing, get a rock guard for the front of Jeep, that gap between front fender and bumper a lot of rocks come flying out and hit the motorhome.

Attachments

• palm creek1.jpg
    palm creek1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 38
I've towed the 2012 without disconnecting the battery and with the key in my pocket. I've had no problems. Many of the supplemental braking systems will require battery power so disconnecting the battery doesn't make sense. As I recall this is still in the manual, but I believe it to be in error.
Definitely must be txfr NEUTRAL and in auto PARK to travel.
Ernie

winnie32v said:
Water Dog.....I have a 2000 Wrangler, 5-speed standard....will be towing this to Fla. this year.  What gear do you put the tranny in when you tow?
Thanks,
Paul

I usually tow mine in either 2nd or 3rd. The manual just says put it in gear. I could be wrong on this, but I believe that any turning that's going to be going on (if any) in the transmission would be originating from the output shaft via the transfer case so really the gearing would be working in reverse.

I am thinking about a good used 2003 Wrangler with automatic.  Will I be able to tow with the key removed?  Or I guess the real question is will the steering lock with the key removed, thanks

drbees said:
I am thinking about a good used 2003 Wrangler with automatic.  Will I be able to tow with the key removed?  Or I guess the real question is will the steering lock with the key removed, thanks

I have a 2003 Jeep Rubicon and it HAD a steering lock..... I had it removed at my Jeep shop.

drbees said:
The 1st CW position is the "Off" position.  Nothing is powered on, but it unlocks the steering, which is where it needs to be for towing.  With no modification, you cannot remove the key.  But, I think the 2003 has a "chipped" key (my 2004 does).  If so, just have an ordinary key made without the chip.  You can unlock the steering with it, but it won't run.  The only other thing you must consider is brakes for the Jeep.  That's why I like the ReadyBrake system.  No power is needed.

I have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee quadra trac II.  I know I have to disengage the transaxle and place it in nuetral. 

I'm somewhat confused on what position the key should be on.  The manual states in the unlocked on position.

The positions on my switch are labeled off-Acc-on-start.  Appreciate any help out there

BubBub42 (Norm)

As I understand it there were a few years when JEEP did not include an "OFF" (but unlocked) position, Just the ones the O/P listed.

In this case I think you use the ACC position and pull one or more fuses.

However, I'm not (Yet) and expert on those so I can't be sure.

Back
Top Bottom