A heat mattress that does not heat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joao

I bought a caravan Forest River Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB which included a heated mattress Flair interiors. This mattress does not heat. Salespeople tell me that this type of mattress heater slightly to remove moisture. They tested the mattress and they tell me that when everything is connected, there is a rise in temperature of 10 degrees. I have no perception that this mattress heat.

I tested the voltage at the output of the controller and provides 120 volts between each of the two terminal ends and the center marker. The controller looks fine.

In addition, I tested the resistance at the entrance of the mattress connector. It gives about 250 ohms between one terminal end and the center marker and no reading between the other terminal and outside the center marker. The mattress seems defective.

Can you tell me what is the problem and how I could solve it?
Is there documentation on the subject?
Do you have a plan's electrical system?

Here are the specs of the mattress and controller:
Flair Interiors Thermosoft FML4101 mattress (111 watts)
Thermosoft Controller Model: ETL-2, 120V/60Hz, 120V 0-adjustable, power: 150 watts max.

Thank you for helping me and sorry for my poor English.
Joao from Qu?bec

I've seen other complaints like yours with those mattresses, so I think they probably don't get very hot. Those who like them say they do feel warm, though, and recommend a setting in the 5-6 range for 30 minutes or so.

You may need to take your problem direct to Flair Interiors, which supplies the heated mattress. Their web site is:
http://www.flairinteriors.com/index-2.html  You can make a warranty claim, but they may require you to return the mattress for replacement.

The control itself  is made by Thermosoft but (as I understand it) they are not the mattress maker. They just supply the controller to Flair. http://thermosoftinternational.com/Products-Applications.html

110 watts is about the same heat as you'd get if you put a 100 watt light bulb in the middle of the mattress.  Not very much heat.

Most electric blankets are in the 300 - 500 watt range.

There are 12 volt bunk heaters in that power range that are placed on top of the mattress, under the covers.  If the bed is covered one of these will warm the bed in 30 minutes or so, since the heat is trapped under the covers.

Try what Gary suggests - make sure the bed is fully made up, turn the heater on High for a half hour or so and see if the bed warms up.  Then turn the thermostat down to a comfortable level when you get into the bed.

Thank you Gary and Lou,

Upon purchase, this mattress heated well enough that I am obliged to close the controller. Today, there is no more heat. Nevertheless I will try again to your recommendations.
I've already posted the problem to Flair Interiors. I await the response.

Jean

If it was working (heating) and now does not, I think it is pretty clear that it has failed. If you are still in warranty, Flair should repair or repalce it. If not still in warranty, you have to buy a replacement yourself. Or do without.

My wife and I are currently camping in the Poconos. The temperature dropped to 28 deg F  Friday night.
There definitely was heat coming out of both sides our mattress.
120vac was coming out both legs of the controller and I did read  250 ohms only on one side of the mattress.
The controller is a "one size fits all". Much larger beds (not like the ones in our pop up camper) require both legs.

Tom

I have a mattress warmer on top of my mattress under all the covers. If you turn it on high, wait 30 minutes and put your hand on it, you feel almost nothing.

But if you lay down on it, you surely feel the heat and it is oh so nice too.  ;D

So it seems to me, if you are testing your mattress with a built in heater, then try laying down on it, to see if you feel any heat at all. You may not feel anything just by touching it with a hand.

My mattress warmer is only 180 watts but it gets plenty hot!  I have 10 settings and it's a good thing. I start out on 10 then work my way down.  I could not live without it, I get cold easily.  My mattress is right over unheated basement. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom