Vibration above 55 MPH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eugene

I am new to this forum. I have a 2004 Tiffan Allegro 35DA on a workhorse chassis. It has a vibration that starts at 55 mph and gets worse especially at 62 mph. I have put Bridgestone, Cooper and now it has Michelin's on the front. The tires have been mounted and balanced by 3 different places. I have also put new Bridgestones on the rear duals. The Workhorse district supervisor drove it with sensors place around the inside of the rv and said I needed new front wheels and shocks. It now has new workhorse front wheels and new OEM Monroe shocks. The problem is still there. I have spent around $5,000 and the problem is still there. I hope someone has an answere for me!!! Thanks, Eugene

Was the drive train checked for run out and or mis-alignment? Also check the Universal joints for wear and play at the bearings.

Lee

My first thought is drive line.  Drive shaft u-joints or carrier bearing.

Can you "Out Run" the vibration meaning it quits at some speed above 55?  Or does it get progressively worse with speed.  If progressively worse lends itself to driveline.  If you can "out run" it.  not likely.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the responses. The drive line was supposedly checked for balance by putting the motorhome on a lift and running it at 55 mph. They did replace two universal joints. I am not sure about the bearings. Everyone thinks the vibration is to slow to be a driveline issue. They think the vibration would be faster instead the vibration seems to be more related to the speed of the wheels and tires. Eugene

If you suspect tires, have them checked for out of round, and for crooked tread as well as balance.

Lee

Some tires shops can do a "road force" test which will measure the wheel as it's spins on the machine and measures the tire. If one or both are out of round they can turn the tire on the rim and make the peaks of the egg shapes be opposite of each other rim/tire so you'll have an overall more round tire/wheel combo. It will still balance if out of round but this will prevent hopping at higher speeds.

That would be a big coincidence though since you had the problem with more than one set of tires.

glockholiday said:
That would be a big coincidence though since you had the problem with more than one set of tires.
And wheels. 

From all you have described having been done and from what Workhorse found with the "sensor" road test, you may have a bent axle or hub.  I'm not familiar with your chassis, but I have had steering knuckles and idler arms cause similar problems in various vehicles.  Also, I didn't see where you had a front-end alignment.  Alignment problems can certainly cause something like this.

Fewer and fewer shops will spin a front wheel with the truck in the shop due to safety concerns but that's the best way to find these sorts of problems.

Do you know the history of the RV or is it new to you?

Likely causes given what you checked so far would be a wheel bearing, wheel hub (if separate from the bearing), or a brake drum or rotor that is warped or not seated on the hub flange.  These are not easy parts to damage and so unless someone screwed up a repair really badly or drove the front wheels over a stump at 90mph they shouldn't be a problem.

Hello everyone,
I have been out of town for a few days. The vibration starts at 55 and gets a lot worse above 60. The tires and wheels where supposed to be forced balanced and the highs and lows of the wheels and tires matched. They did say the alignment is off a little, but they didn't think that would cause any of this. We are the second owners, but the problem has started after we have owned it for sometime now. We did have the brake recall performed on this. I wonder if there is a problem there? The coach is at a tire center now and they are rechecking all the tires for balance and or out of round. They are supposed to provide the workhorse man with all the numbers per wheel and tire.  I don't think this is the problem, but I will post the results in a few days. The workhorse man said this needed to be done before he gets back into the situation. Thanks again to all for the comments, Eugene

This probably won't help based on what you've done and who you had look at it, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.  I had a similar problem on my 2001 American Eagle with a Spartan Chassis.  Turns out the ride height in the rear was too low, causing the angle of the drive shaft between the engine and transmission to be off.  Mine started at 65 and got worse the faster you went.  Was even worse with my foot off the fuel pedal rolling down a hill above 65.  Increased the ride height in the rear and the problem was solved.

Bob

Where do you feel this vibration?

If its not in the steering wheel,  I seriously doubt its in the front end.
Glad you had the alignment checked just to rule that out.  HOWEVER, Alignment VERY seldom if ever will cause a vibration.  If it does have a part in it, You will know it by other symptoms!!  (Trained at Hunter Factory in another life)

As a general rule vibrations at those speeds are somewhere in the driveline or rear of the vehicle.
Again, Where is the vibration felt.  In the coach or in the steering wheel? 
And,  does it progressively worse or can you "Out run it" so to speak?

The Vibration is felt all over in the coach. The vibration seems to get worse the faster you go. I have gotten it up to 70-75  but the vibration gets too much to push it any faster. The passenger side sits lower than the drivers side. It has been this way since we have owned it. I am still waiting to hear back from the last garage we took the coach to. I suspect that the wheels and tires where not the issue or I would have heard back by now. I will let everyone know what I find out later today. Thanks, Eugene.

Not mentioned if the vibration is felt in the steering wheel, which suggest a steering axle problem.  Or, a driveline vibration felt in the driver seat and/or the floor of the coach.  This info would help narrow down the problem.

For some reason, after reading the original post and replies, it sounds like a tire/wheel weight issue to me.

Eugene said:
The Vibration is felt all over in the coach. The vibration seems to get worse the faster you go. I have gotten it up to 70-75  but the vibration gets too much to push it any faster. The passenger side sits lower than the drivers side. It has been this way since we have owned it. I am still waiting to hear back from the last garage we took the coach to. I suspect that the wheels and tires where not the issue or I would have heard back by now. I will let everyone know what I find out later today. Thanks, Eugene.

My guess is you have an issue with the air bags (if equipped, sorry dont know) or a spring issue.  This will cause the Pass side to sit lower.  This may or may not be apart of your vibration. 

Given that it gets worse and worse it sounds like a drive line, or rear suspension problem to me.

Have a driveline shop check the driveshaft for trueness and balance, as well as carrier bearing.  Wheel bearings and ball joints should also be checked.  I don't think it's internal engine, transmission or torque converter, or it would be RPM as opposed to speed specific.  Check REAR tires for a tread separation too, as well as entire rear suspension.  You may be feeling something coming from the back of the coach that is transmitting itself throughout.  Keep us posted.

I am having the very same vibration at 55 mph. It gets worse at 65. Had all tires rebalanced. Just bought it but new tires 500 miles before i bought it. Thanks. What was your cure?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom