EPDM Coatings
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems Sponsored by RV Upgrades width= Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: OK to Leave Refrigerator On?  (Read 1610 times)

Mike in Texas

• ---
    • Kramer Travel Photos
OK to Leave Refrigerator On?
« on: June 29, 2006, 09:07:32 AM »
When not in use, I park my RV near my house plugged into shore power with the refrigerator on and the A/C not running. The outside temperature reaches the mid-90s and the interior of the coach about the same at mid day. A friend who is also an RVer told me this week that my refrigerator will be damaged if left on in those conditions. Is that true?
New Braunfels, TX
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ
2003 Chevy ZR2 Tracker Dinghy
Intel iMac, G4 Mac Mini, G4 iBook, G4 Dual 867
Canon EOS 20D

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: OK to Leave Refrigerator On?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:24:31 AM »
I don't see how.  If that were the case, we wouldn't be doing any RVing in hot weather.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Want to know what we're doing? http://blog.usabyrv.us

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
Your fridge may be working more to keep the contents cold, but that won't damage it.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 04:58:48 PM »
The only possible damage to the fridge I can see from operating in 90 degree heat is to the latch, seals and hinges.
(read on)

From opening and closing it time and time and time again when you go for "a cold one"

(Normal wear of course)

Oh, and possible a bent shelf from all those cold ones sitting atop it :-)

They should work just fine at 90-100 degrees, well within design specs, Go right ahead it should work fine
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 05:21:36 PM »
I believe an rv refrigerators life (cooling unit) is prolonged by keeping it plugged in to keep the fridge operational when the rv is not in use.  I follow this practice in my 98 coach and the fridge continues to work as expected.
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

Riverdog

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 03:42:17 PM »
I believe an rv refrigerators life (cooling unit) is prolonged by keeping it plugged in to keep the fridge operational when the rv is not in use.  I follow this practice in my 98 coach and the fridge continues to work as expected.

I agree with Steve.  I have a friend who works in RV repair and he said they recommend leaving them plugged in as the "on again/off again" treatment is harder on the unit than leaving it running full time.
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - Duramax/Allison
2009 Komfort Trailblazer 285S
Tekonsha P3
Equal-i-zer

shmuck2002

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 04:41:40 PM »
What is the breaking point on that practice though? If you are going to be taking your rig out once a month, I assume leave it running, but if you are planning to store it for several months, is it better to go ahead and power it off and air it out?
2000 Fleetwood Prowler SUT 26A - 26' ToyHauler
2001 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab 6.8L V10
Kawasaki 650 X2, and 650 SX stand-up
Girlfriend that makes every trip a blast - Priceless :)

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 06:04:40 PM »
We turn ours off if the rig is going to sit unused for more than 3-4 weeks.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 06:39:05 PM »
I normally leave ours on Propane when stored.  that way it's always raring to go.  However presently, I have it shut down with the doors open and all power off cuase it will knowing sit for 2 months or better.
Old, Stubborn, Opinionated, Set in my Ways, and Independent,  IMHO

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 06:58:45 PM »
What is the breaking point on that practice though? If you are going to be taking your rig out once a month, I assume leave it running, but if you are planning to store it for several months, is it better to go ahead and power it off and air it out?

I think it is an economy thing.... Takes time and enegery (Both electrical/gas and elbow type enegery) to clean it out and shut it down at the end of a trip, if you are going out again in just a few weeks,,,,, Easier to keep it cold and active.  But if you are stroing it for the season (months) by all means shut it down and clean it out.

Just now I'm between seasons,, New season starts... Well, next week (for me) so all that's cold is the portable refrig/freezer, it's got a 5 pack of Diet RC in it (was a six but I drank one) nicely chilled.

I also got one of my radio antennas tuned up today (I'm a ham, finally got all the proper connectors and found the metere, 1.2 to one SWR or less in the desired area.. Good, it's a full wave on 70cm)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.