Where should/can I cross into Canada near Glacier Natl Park?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyAdventurer

When we head north to Glacier NP on our way to Alaska next summer, after we've finished our stay at Glacier, is there a good place to cross into Canada either slightly east or slightly west of Glacier??? Anybody done that?  Susan (SaltyAdventurer)

Take Hwy 93 up the west side thru Whitefish.  Nice senic ride and Whitefish is also a nice place to visit. 

Thanks!  I had noted that Hwy 93 goes up there, but wondered if that is a good crossing place...looks like the crossing is north of Eureka into a little town called Grasmere BC.  Should be a nice quiet place to cross, w/o long lines, I suspect.

We crossed there year before last, no problems, although there was some highway construction in Montana (like there always is during their short repair season). No line going or coming back.

Watch your fuel and food, though, because of the distance between stops. We fueled in Eureka then went into Banff. The difference in gas prices at the time was an eye opener.

Sure have done that. From St Mary on the east side, took 89 north to Chief Mt Hwy (17). At the border ( a pleasant very short stop by the way), the road changes name to Canada 6. Took that to visit the Canadian part of Glacier (Waterton) for a few hours and then up Canada 6, the Cowboy Highway, and the Ice Hwy up thru Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. Pulled our 32 ft fifth wheel. One of the best trips we ever took.

Bruce touched on it as for as routing.  Take his route vs the one from Eureka as you will have an  easier trip.  Stop at Cardston for the carriage museum.  A little further along is buffalo Jump.  It is one of the finest combinations of a jump and the visitor center we have run across.  Most if not all the guides are native people, usually from the Blood tribe and give a great tour with lots of insite into the life of a plains Indian.  There is also a campground with a music theme but I can't remember exactly where and the records were lost in a computer crash years ago.  This is all before you reach Calgary.

Take your time and enjoy the country and people, we did and we need to go back and do the rest of the trip to AK.

Cardston has a great City owned RV park.  Also, has a beautiful LDS Temple built in the 1920' and modeled after the Arizona Temple.  Cardston is just a few hours north of East Glaicer.  Go North to Cardston from Browning, MT .  Browning is on US 2 east of the road to East Glaicer. 

Cardston Lee Creek Campground  http://www.campleecreek.com/

In West Glaicer, the best place to stay is http://www.northamericanrvpark.com/  Big Rig Friendly.

We spent the month of June, 2011 in Alberta.  Went from South to North (Dawson Creek, BC) and East to West.  Great trip.

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom