EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: Chemicals in the black water tank  (Read 2157 times)

Billy Bob

• ---
Chemicals in the black water tank
« on: November 14, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »
I hear that a lot of fulltimers don;t use chemicals in their black water tanks, Why?? I allways though that chemicals were needed to cut down on the smell.

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: Chemicals in the black water tank
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »
The chemicals just mask any odor with a chemical smell.  A properly vented holding tank won't smell.  Use lots of water when you flush and you won't have any problems.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Want to know what we're doing? http://blog.usabyrv.us

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
Ned is correct, very few of us here use chemicals. I have been a full timer for 9 years and I have never used chemicals. After I dump my black tank I add about 5 gallons of water. Every time I flush I hold the lever down and count to five. Odor isn't a problem.

Jammer

• ---
  • Moar Aluminuminum!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
It's a controversial topic.

Ned is correct that most of the holding tank products being sold consist mainly of a masking fragrance.  I use Aqua-Kem, which contains formaldehyde and methanol, which have a bacteriostatic effect that reduces the stink at its source.  However, it is toxic.

I find that there are situations where I end up boodocking where I have a means of disposal of grey water (usually by pumping it and hauling it) but not sewage.  Odor control then becomes a more serious problem than it might otherwise be, particularly in hot weather.

When camping in full hookup sites where it is possible to use all kinds of water and dump tanks frequently, the chemicals aren't necessary.
2004 Suburban 2500 4wd 8.1 / 2010 Airstream Classic 30' /
1997 K2500 regular cab long bed pickup / 1971 Cayo C-11

Wandering

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
While it is true that the amount of water used might be an issue, we have not had a problem in that regard.  Most of the time, the grey water tank will produce as much odor as the black water tank.  We use Calgon and Dawn in our black water tank.  We have not had an odor problem.  Therefore, we use no "chemicals".
Debbie and John

MH sold/settled in SC
2012 Honda CR-V

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
We stopped using chemicals a few years ago before we started full timing. We use plenty of water and don't have any smell. If the tank is sealed, where is the smell coming from? If you have smells, check the toilet seal or your tank vent.
Michael

2010 Winnebago Tour
Cummins ISL 400
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Blue Ox Aventa II
Air Force One
Tire Safeguard TPMS
Blue Ox Tru Center

Visit us at www.schwarz.org

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »
I hear that a lot of fulltimers don;t use chemicals in their black water tanks, Why?? I allways though that chemicals were needed to cut down on the smell.

And that is what the chemical industry WANTS you to believe.

I do not use chemicals 99% of the time (I may use a waste digeter (Biological, not chemical) when I'm doing my semi-annual hike of 800 miles but even there I"m dropping off.

I have had to do major work on the toilet, including re-building the riser it sits on,  That involved sitting on the floor with my nose a few inches from teh open pipe to the black tank for like an hour.. No offensive odor.

The only time I have had a serious odor issue is when I once forgot to close the dump valve.. Closed the valve, it went away.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »
Thanks for the info on your use of chemicals. I don't fulltime but do take a two to three months trip each year. If I am able to dump ever 4 to 5 days I do not use chemicals But if the trailer is going to set at my house for a few weeks or months I put about 5 gal of water in the black water tank and a few ounces of chemical before I leave the dump station and drain and flush the gray tank.

Conquest aka Robert

• ---
  • 1996 gulfstream conquest ultra 102
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »
we put ridex in the tank for summer sitting never had a smell even with the extra hot summer. Its even good for the CG we add extra good stuff to their system.
1996 GulfStream Conquest Ultra 102  04-19-2011.
2009 Honda Ruckus
1984 Southwind for 6 years.
1 Wife
6 Children who needs pets

COMer

• ---
  • John & Darla
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
I quit using chemicals (other than water) about 15 years ago and it's worked well since.  I also quit putting bleach in it to clean it out.  That kills the bacteria and bacteria is our friend.  If it sits too long, I give it a shot of Rid-ex to restore the bacteria.  You need that for proper control.
John & Darla
Home near Erie, PA
Spend half the year with Campers on Mission

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 09:28:39 PM »
I use Aqua-Kem, which contains formaldehyde and methanol, which have a bacteriostatic effect that reduces the stink at its source.  However, it is toxic.

I find that there are situations where I end up boodocking where I have a means of disposal of grey water (usually by pumping it and hauling it) but not sewage.  Odor control then becomes a more serious problem than it might otherwise be, particularly in hot weather.

As Ron Ruward put it, formaldehyde is an embalming fluid and why would anyone want to embalm the contents of the black tank :o It is also against the rules in many campgrounds to dump tanks containing formaldehyde.

I rarely dump my black tank until it is full or close to it, regardless of whether we are boondocking or in a campground. Never have a problem with smell,even in hot weather.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

ruthandken CDN

• ---
    • Five - Just Rolling Down the Road
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
Water, water and more water.  Then sometimes I throw in a package of yeast.  But water is the answer.
Ken & Ruth,
fur kid, Jackson(golden retriever)
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
2011 F350 Ford Super Duty Dually with crew cub
Dogs are not my whole life but they made my life whole.
http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »
Water, water and more water.  Then sometimes I throw in a package of yeast.  But water is the answer.
What does the yeast do?