Allison 1000 transmission problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rbell003

The vehicle is a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 8.1 Vortec engine. It has 50,700 miles on it. The truck used to sit in the carport most of the time just recently my son been driving it every day for about two months now. It's starting to have shifting issues with a P0700 code. Thought it was the NSBU switch, replaced it cleared the code and problem still exists. My son described the truck as going into a limp mode so I took it for a test drive. It will up shift from first to third but when I stop and accelerate it gets stuck in first gear with a P0776 and P0732 code. If I stop and turn the ignition off and back on and start to accelerate in tow mode it will up shift from first to third again. About four different times that I would stop and turn the ignition off and back on it had shifted through all the gears. But most of the test drives it gets stuck in first until I stop turn the ignition off and back on. So not really in a limp mode which is only third and reverse. I'm guessing it's one of the solenoids going bad or a sticky valve. I was told letting the truck sit too long was not a good thing. Has anybody else experience these symptoms and tell me where to start.

Here is a link to the various codes and their meaning.....

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202723&highlight=p0772

Hope it helps!

Thanks this is a good start. I miss printed the P0776 code it was actually P0756.

We had the same problem - and drove home 4 hours in limp mode. Not fun. I took it to local Allison Transmission shop and they had to download new software and reconfigured the transmission. I stayed and watch them do it with their laptop and then we went for a test ride - and the problem was fixed. I suggest you take it to a good truck Allison Shop and tell them you want them to download new trans software. cost about $250.00

i  have a 2001 silverado 1 ton with a allison 1000 transmission.we replaced the rear shaft housing with a new on when testing by driving when putting in reverse it will move about 10 feet then kick out of reverse reverse light starts blinking. we looked under trans thinking maybe left something un pluged speedometer was unplugged but didnt make any difference can you help us

George, this is an educated guess, Try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes. May clear a "code" caused by the disconnected speedo cable, if there is still a problem it will throw a code again for professional troubleshooting.

Bill

does anyone else have any ideas of what we could do we cant afford any major bills if you drive very slow will stay in gear as soon as you excellarate it kicks out and the light blinks does not do this in idle

Back
Top Bottom