Polaris Generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  My experience is that honda generator are about the same as the others, (except for the price), I've had a couple and several other brands too. One of the best I've had was a generic.

Desertfront said:
  My experience is that honda generator are about the same as the others, (except for the price), I've had a couple and several other brands too. One of the best I've had was a generic.

I agree. I am quite convinced that the only significant differences between the Honda and some of the generics are the name and the color.

Joel

The off names are making in roads to the market, Champion is the one that seems to have some staying power but only because there inexpensive enough to entice people to try them. Other names seem to fade out after a year or so.

Polaris will have to offer more power. less noise, less weight...something to entice people to spend as much as they would with Honda or Yamaha for proven products. Otherwise it is just brand names going head to head if the product are equal.

I hope the generators work out, the more options the better. I look forward to the comparisons.

what are some of the generic generators that are not at Honda prices (I would like to have a quiet one if the price is right)

I haven't seen what the street price of the Polaris generators are but I suspect they will be less than Honda and Yamaha's prices. A good deal if everything else is equal. (noise, weight, features, etc)

Champion has a 2000i inverter for around $500 and a 3100i inverter for $8-900. The are not perfect equals to the big names, maybe a bit less power or a bit noisier but you do get what you pay for and if those differences are worth twice the cost.... They also don't have as big as a service network as Honda, Yamaha or even Polaris I would imagine but for a smaller company, I've not heard any complaints about service.

Other names include Kipor, Bolie, Magna to mention a few. Just make sure to really check out the reviews on durability, service and parts availability.

I would like to see more info on the Polaris units, street price especially. As I said more options are always better.

Edit
Ok out of curiosity I when checking and found the 3000iE unit selling for $1799.99 and the 2000i unit for $999.99.

Most of you already know this, but for the remaining few, please do keep in mind that sound level falls off as the square of the distance, so two units with the same advertised dB level (53dB at 5 feet at 1/4 power) need to be at the same conditions, both distance and relative power setting, in order for the comparison to be meaningful.

I thought there was a standard distance used to measure Db's, 23 feet I believe. There was some confusion with a misprinted brochure from Honda claiming 9 feet but they admitted to that last year.

JiminDenver said:
I thought there was a standard distance used to measure Db's, 23 feet I believe. There was some confusion with a misprinted brochure from Honda claiming 9 feet but they admitted to that last year.

But I doubt they all use that "standard" distance, since it's not a law (so far as I know). Regardless of what it is, the post was just to make some folks aware of the way it works, not to question any particular unit.

From the appearance of the Polaris 3000i, I confess I'm wondering whether that is just a rebadged Honda.  The Honda EU3000is is also 196cc, and weighs 131 lbs.  The Polaris is 196cc, with a dry weight of 125 lbs....

Back
Top Bottom