1986 Fleetwo0d Bounder transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkman33

Thanks for having me on the forum.

I am looking for some advice regarding my 1986 Fleetwood Bounder. Currently it is on its last leg but I think I can get a few more years out of some light use. Issue is my transmission needs to be replaced. I took it to a RV Shop in the Baltimore area and they are quoting me around $4700 to get it fixed. This is an old RV, are they asking too much?

Thanks again,
J.
Edit: Clarified subject line.

The quote I got earlier was wrong.  It's actually $6900...  I think that's entirely too much.

Ask the shop what they'd charge to install a used transmission from a wrecking yard.  The wrecking yard will usually guarantee the transmission is functional or they'll replace it, if you get a clunker you'd have to pay the labor for another swap out of pocket.  No matter if you have a Ford or Chevy chassis, the transmissions are the same as you'd find in the same vintage pickup trucks.

If this coach is on a GM chassis, it most likely has a th400 transmission. Around here that trans can be rebuilt for less than $600.00 if taken to the trans shop, not including R&R. Some trans shops will do the R&R too. I'd be looking for a shop that just does trans work, they are around. If the trans in question is a OD trans it will be double that price for the rebuild.

I don't think a RV shop is the place to have transmission work done. Look for a shop that does trucks. A truck shop will have the ability to lift the coach and R&R transmission. More then likely they will have a transmission rebuilt or may even rebuild yours. Either way I think $4000 is way too much. You didn't say what chassis you have but GM and Fred Jones (Ford) offer some pretty good deals on OEM rebuilt transmissions with a nationwide warranty.

Agree - even the $4700 is way too much. Forget the RV dealer - he's probably just going to take it to a transmission shop anyway, and charge you handsomely for the service. You can buy a rebuilt tramnsmission for $1000 or less and labor to remove and install shouldn't exceed another $1000 and there are certainly shops that will do it for less if you look around. Might have to get out of metro-Baltimore to find lower prices, though.

Besides, for $4700 you can buy another 1986 Bounder and have spare parts for everything.

Do you still have that Bounder? If so, and you're on the West Coast, send me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom