EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: Surge protector in front of voltage regulator?  (Read 346 times)

Phil Hyde

• ---
Surge protector in front of voltage regulator?
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:39:07 PM »
I recently had occasion to purchase a TRC 50 amp voltage regulator.  Unlike some other models on the market, this one doesn't have any built-in surge or spike protection.

Being the expensive item that it is, I wish to protect the TRC voltage regulator from spikes. 

I thought I had read here that someone had used some kind of surge protector in line before the voltage regulator.  Perhaps even a home built something or other?

Thanks for any input...
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC 2WD DRW
2010 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 345-DBQ

JPete

• ---
  • The older I get, the better I was.
Re: Surge protector in front of voltage regulator?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:28:02 AM »
The TRC 50 that I am familiar with is a surge protector. Its sole purpose is to protect your rig against surges and low voltage.

Pete

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:45:42 AM »
My TRC-50 is also a Surge Protector.

Putting the surge guard in front of the transformer will cause it to shut you down during a brown out even though the power is still good once boosted.. Thus the auto-former type voltage regulator goes first.

And far as I know all of them have spike protection.   Not only that but transformers are good at dealing with spikes.   Provided they used good insulation on the wires.

Can you post a link to the device (TRC-50) you have? 
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Phil Hyde

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:09:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  To be clear, I'm not suggesting to use a "surge guard" (or similar product) in front of the regulator - for the reasons mentioned.  The protection that those provide is way too comprehensive for purpose which I intend (additional spike/surge protection for the regulator).

I have model 10175:

http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/voltage-regulator

John mentions that transformers are good at dealing with spikes.  Is this to say that it's unnecessary to protect a voltage regulator (transformer) from surge/spikes?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:00:40 AM by Phil Hyde »
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC 2WD DRW
2010 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 345-DBQ