Removal of Suburban furnace.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill and Debbie

I seem to have a very small propane leak at one of the furnaces. Looks like the only way to fix the leaking fitting is to remove the whole furnace unit. Really interested in how the unit comes out and how does the LP connect to the unit. Looks like the entire unit, should be able to be pulled out after disconnecting electrical fittings and removing some screws which appear to hold the unit in.

Found a youtube video but it was for an Atwood unit and didn't address the LP line.

Thanks....

Before you do anything you must locate the LP input line, it most likely is a copper line and will have to be disconnected before moving the unit.>>>Dan

How to remove it is probably very much dependant on where it is hidden in your particular motor home but I will give you an example on my trailer.

Many Suburban units have only the exhaust and fresh air ports showing outside. If this is the case, that silver plate outside has to be removed if you want to remove the furnace. A piece of the exhaust pipe is attached to it and pulls out with it. My unit is actually located under the stove and the air return grill is mounted there below the stove/oven assembly inside the trailer. The gas connection was somewhat visible through there after removing the the air return vent cover.

The whole furnace is too big to come out through there so I had to remove the stove/oven as the first step, just a couple of screws and a gas connection and not too heavy. The gas line actually goes to the furnace first as it is on the floor and then from a "T" in the the line it goes up to the stove top. It would be very wise to use a soapy water solution to verify all connections before removing the pressure in the lines. I used a blanking plug on the stove top connection so I could re-pressurize the line and test the furnace connections as the stove itself had to be disconnected and removed to gain furnace access.

The furnace itself is sealed in a wooden box, the cover of which is well sealed with silicone sealer that has to be removed. Then several screws are removed and the wooden cover can be lifted revealing the furnace, wiring and gas connection. After making sure the propane is off you can either tighten the connection or proceed with a removal. Mark all the wires that will need disconnecting before going any further. The furnace is likely fastened down with several screws into the floor.

HTH in your detective work.

On our Bounder, a rather large exterior cover is removed and once removed it exposed the entire unit with the squirrel cage blower, exhaust vents, electrical connections and the gas line coming in on the left. A small 4" section of pipe runs front to back into another line which disappears at the back of the unit. This little 4"section of pipe has a fitting which is leaking. But very little room to do anything unless the whole unit is removed. The youtube video I saw of an Atwood, which looked pretty similar but did not address the lp input at the back.

Just not sure how the fuel line attaches to the back or does it mate up much like the line going to the stovetop burners.

If you can locate the return air vent on the inside of the coach, usually directly behind the furnace, and remove it, it may reveal the gas connection at the furnace. Whether or not you can work it is another question.... The actual connection is the same as the stove connection. I was told not to use the yellow teflon tape or pipe dope (goop) on this type of connection.

Good luck!!

It's been a couple years since I pulled my Suburban, but as mentioned, I did have to remove the exhaust vent on the outside first.  I do seem to recall that it slid into an outer framework.  I didn't realize this at the time and removed a couple of screws that held the framework in place that I didn't need to.  I had a heck of a time getting one or two of those back in.  Yours may not be the same, but you might look for the possibility.

I also had to disconnect the LP to pull the furnace.  If you have to pull the furnace to get to the leaky LP connection, but you have to disconnect the LP to pull the furnace....    It'll work out.

Last suggestion: I'm either not as smart as I used to be, or I'm smarter, because now when I disassemble something with any complexity to it, I use my phone to take a lot of reference pictures for later re-assembly.  I end up with fewer leftover parts that way.

Amen Jim...nothing like having a few leftover parts upon reinstallation. My Suburban furnace looks like it is held in place with a few screws which if removed would allow the entire unit to slide out. I'm just not sure how the propane line (non flexible) mates up to the furnace at the back. I wouldn't think it's a hard screwed in fitting but more like the way the LP makes its way into a stove top burner.

Will work on it today as it has finally stopped raining!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom