Campground Hookups - What should I expect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SUZYQT

If a campground says "hookups", does that always mean electrical, water and sewer?  Does "Full hookups" mean more that just "RV hookups"?  Should we always expect at least 30 amp?  :-[

for 'hookups' i'd expect water and electricity only. 'full hookups' means same plus sewer, maybe tv cable. not aware of anything else :)

Hook-ups are like Forest Gump's box of candy.  If you plan to stay in one place for a while it is a good idea to call ahead and find out. 

30 amps is generally the minimum, however there are always exceptions.  When it comes to power there can be all kinds of anomalies.  It is recommended to always use a good surge protector.  High quality surge protectors also protect from poor grounds, miss wired connections, etc.  They can be a bit expensive, but the potential damage can be much more expensive.

I agree on calling ahead, especially when you are given a vague term like "hookups."  I just almost made a reservation at a campground until I realized that "electrical" meant only 15 amps, not the 30 I need for AC!  Ditto for the vague "RV hookups."  As in, what other kind are there????

SUZYQT said:
If a campground says "hookups", does that always mean electrical, water and sewer?  Does "Full hookups" mean more that just "RV hookups"?  Should we always expect at least 30 amp?  :-[
Welcome to the forum. Yes like others have said it is best if in doubt to call and ask never assume they know what you need or will automatically have it.
Bill

We usually take Full Hookups to mean electricity, water, and sewer but the devil is in the details.  There may be 130 sites but only 15 with the full hookups I described.  It's not at all unusual for the majority of the sites to have electric and water but no sewer.  And it tells you nothing about that electricity - 20 amp, 30 amp, 50 amp.  It can include cable TV but not usually.  In other words, there is no standard terminology so the previous advice to call ahead if in doubt is good.

ArdraF

I was dumb-founded the first time I went to an Indiana State Park. After completly setting up my Pop-Up I plugged in my 30a cord to shore-power and stretched out my water hose only to find no water!? I had arrived with empty tanks so a trip to the Campstore for a new water bottle was next...  ::)

Bobmws said:
I need to get some cable for TV connection, in general, what length TV cable do you carry?

I carry a 10' length and a 25' length with a adapter to connect the two. I figure 35' should be more than enough and it has been so far.  :eek:

Bobmws said:
I need to get some cable for TV connection, in general, what length TV cable do you carry?

I think that at this moment I have 3 25 footers. Accumulated them when equipment was added. Usually 1 would do but I do keep connectors just in case. Those cables break really easy when tossed around. I threw one away last week

Bobmws said:
Rene T  suggestion is right on the money except in those rare places where the connector is in the front of the sight on the right hand side.
Most are found near the power pedestal. so if that is in the right place you can get by with a shorter cable.
Bill

And then there are the sites where the water is at one end, the electric is at the other end and the sewer is somewhere in between!  You know without doubt that the campground designer was probably never in an RV much less knew about it's utilities and where hookups need to be located.  Of course those are also the ones where the water hose is one foot too short, the electrical cord is one foot too short, and the sewer is six inches too short!  :-\  When you encounter a site like that it might take longer than usual to get your RV in just the right location - and then find a tree branch in the way of the satellite dish!  Ain't RV'n fun!  Time to go get a libation....

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
And then there are the sites where the water is at one end, the electric is at the other end and the sewer is somewhere in between!  You know without doubt that the campground designer was probably never in an RV much less knew about it's utilities and where hookups need to be located.  Of course those are also the ones where the water hose is one foot too short, the electrical cord is one foot too short, and the sewer is six inches too short!  :-\  When you encounter a site like that it might take longer than usual to get your RV in just the right location - and then find a tree branch in the way of the satellite dish!  Ain't RV'n fun!  Time to go get a libation....

ArdraF
I thought I was the only one who had extra stuff 3 different length water hoses 4 sections of sewer hose, 3 different pieces of coax, 2 power cord extensions(30 amp), 50ft of 15 amp power cord. Adapters/dog bones to adapt to most any thing.
And have needed it all at one time. Most sites are pretty good I can park where the short length of each will reach. But hay that's camping.
Bill

Here's the thing with sewer connections....water and electricity can be run uphill from the source.....sewer must be uphill of the septic tank or sewer main in the street.  Some campgrounds have spaces that are physically downhill from the entrance to the septic, and obviously, those won't have a sewer connection.  A lot of campgrounds now have maps on their websites that detail which sites have what, but if in doubt, always call ahead.

Back
Top Bottom