Tyron Tire Bands and blow outs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrohog1

I am in need of a few opinions. I am thinking about having the Tyron Tire Bands installed in the Front Tires of my 43 Ft RV. I have seen some very serious videos of RV's having a blow out on their front steering axle and causing severe injury and damage when the person driving can no longer keep control of the RV. Has anyone ever had a Front Tire blow out with the Tyron Tire Bands installed? If so how did the RV handle. Also what was the approx cost to have them installed?

Thanks for you help,

Herbie

You buy an expensive motor home, then want to cheap out on the only thing between you and the road?  Makes no sense to me installing some off brand tires just to save a few dollars.

The few reports online indicate that Tyron works as advertised. Whether you need it to be safe if your call. Personally, I rely on the technique described in the Michelin Blow-out video. And yes, I have had a front tire fail on a motorhome, though it did not cause a loss of control that required great driving skill. For most such events, the basic is to avoid standing on the brakes and hang on til it slows. Obviously once in awhile that won't be adequate, but once in awhile the Tyron may not be either.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/tires-101/tire-maintenance-and-safety/how-to-handle-a-blowout/

Having driven truck over the road for OVER 1 million miles in that time I'd only had 1 front blow out.  The issue with all the damage/accidents with front blow outs is that the drivers instant reaction is to hit the brakes AND THIS is what causes the coach's to go off the road and wreck.  I know it's against you natural; instinct but HIT THE GAS when the tire blows regain steering control, then ease off the gas and lightly brake to a stop.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The few reports online indicate that Tyron works as advertised. Whether you need it to be safe if your call. Personally, I rely on the technique described in the Michelin Blow-out video. And yes, I have had a front tire fail on a motorhome, though it did not cause a loss of control that required great driving skill. For most such events, the basic is to avoid standing on the brakes and hang on til it slows. Obviously once in awhile that won't be adequate, but once in awhile the Tyron may not be either.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/tires-101/tire-maintenance-and-safety/how-to-handle-a-blowout/

That link does not seem to make the video available but it is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwOE1yKY5c

My passenger side front tire blew at 55 mph March  this year on I-81. We were in heavy truck traffic all doing 70+ mph. The RV did not lurch left or right. I did not immediately slam the brakes, I held the wheel straight, then slowly applied the brakes. The tire did not shred, stayed on the rim & we have no damage in the wheel well.  We steered off the road to the shoulder not even feeling like the tire had exploded.

I have ordered the installation kit from Chuck at TYRON-USA to have the bands re-installed on my new front tires.

This is a neat product.  I watched all the videos and I am impressed by what it can do.  Does anyone know what these cost?

69bbc said:
My passenger side front tire blew at 55 mph March  this year on I-81. We were in heavy truck traffic all doing 70+ mph. The RV did not lurch left or right. I did not immediately slam the brakes, I held the wheel straight, then slowly applied the brakes. The tire did not shred, stayed on the rim & we have no damage in the wheel well.  We steered off the road to the shoulder not even feeling like the tire had exploded.

It doesn't always work out like that....

http://www.wistv.com/story/29036795/dash-cam-video-motor-home-blows-tire-slides-on-side-across-i-10?clienttype=generic

Attachments

• overturned-camper-i-10jpg-46fd4105740be763.jpg
    overturned-camper-i-10jpg-46fd4105740be763.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 23
Gary RV Roamer said:
Stu... don't you see the video image on that page? Just click the triangle in the center to start the video rolling. Works for me!

Sorry Gary but no, I don't see the triangle at all. I am not alone though as Scottydl had the same problem when I quoted that particular page earlier today in another thread. It set us both hunting for the You-Tube page that I quoted.  (Used both Firefox and IE with the same result!!)

All I see is the paragraph starting: "RV tire rapid air loss?most commonly referred to as a "tire blowout"?can be managed......"

Frizlefrak said:
It doesn't always work out like that....

http://www.wistv.com/story/29036795/dash-cam-video-motor-home-blows-tire-slides-on-side-across-i-10?clienttype=generic
I think 69bbc is saying they have the bands and that is why they did not loose control.  There is no indication if the RV in this video had bands or not.

You are correct KenB. All I am doing is responding to the OP about the bands. I have spoken at length with Chuck Thather at Tyron and he is a pretty cool guy , he can advise rv'ers where to install the product if interested. I am a satisfied user  and we ( DW ) feel more comfortable driving with them on the tires.  8)

Larry,  or anyone else can you give us an approx. cost to buy and have them installed in the front tires, my coach is a class A 43ft? Thanks for your help?

Herbie

Herbie,

Give him a call at the office he is located in Tampa, depending upon where you are located I am certain he can advise you how much for the bands installed and who is an authorized distributor. Mine were already on the motorhome when I purchased it in Ontario. Good luck
http://www.tyron-usa.com

Larry

Don't know about the balancing, still waiting for the install kit to arrive.  Tire center told me they will high speed balance once the bands are installed. Will advise once completed.  Larry

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom