RVing message boards > Fulltiming

Fulltiming and tax records

<< < (2/5) > >>

Tom:

--- Quote from: Conodor on May 04, 2005, 12:33:58 PM ---CD is teh way to go... but i back up all important stuff online also.
--- End quote ---

Good idea to have redundant backups. One question - how secure is such personal data when stored online in this manner?

Conodor:
humm, that' would be hard to say.  i would say nearly 99% but i guess it would be as secure as stuffing it in a cd under your bed.  you feel it would be safe, but there's always that chance.

Just like thiefs, there are hackers out there.  the chance of someone hacking into your personal files are possible.  but not likely.  it would probably be easier for someone to hack your computer and take the files than it would be fore somone to hack into a major compay like microsoft(hotmail) or gmail(google)  maybe even yahoo.

i can't say 100% secure, but i woudln't worry about it to much.

Tom:

--- Quote from: Conodor on May 04, 2005, 12:59:03 PM ---i can't say 100% secure, but i woudln't worry about it to much.
--- End quote ---

I guess I'm more concerned about it more than that. There have been too many reports of "secure" systems being hacked and identity theft.

Conodor:
i guess it's a case of odds.  what's more likely something happening to your disk or a major corparation being hacked.  only you can decide that factor.

Ned:
Before uploading any personal files to any web server, I would strongly recommend that they be compressed into a zip file with encryption.  Winzip (and other similar progams) make that very easy to do.  Be sure to use a strong password and keep it in a safe place so you don't lose it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version