Atwood Refrigerator Won't Run on LP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjansen

I haven't been able to find any information on this problem with the Atwood refrigerator, so I thought I would start a thread to document what's happening for future reference.  If anyone has ideas on the issue, feel free to let me know.

The fridge won't run on LP.  It's an Atwood HE-0601.  It's the same as the HW-0801, only smaller.  Last fall it would run on LP. Now it won't. It runs fine on AC. When in LP mode, the igniter will spark and ignite the LP, but when the igniter stops sparking the flame goes out. It does this 2 more times and then stops and the "Check" light comes on on the front panel and the beeping starts.  After checking several forums, I did the following.  Ran the stove to purge the lines of air.  Ran the refrigerator through numerous cycles to get it to ignite and run to purge this line of air.  I finally opened up the access panel and checked for rust and stuff blocking the burner tube.  It looks brand new as I think its only been run on propane once since it was built.  I did pull the burner tube out and checked the orifice to make sure it wasn't plugged and there is absolutely no rust.   

The unit is less than 2 years old, but we are the 2nd owners so it's not under warranty.  I called Atwood anyway and they advised me that it was the igniter as they had a problem with the ones manufactured during my manufacturing run. They did send me a new one that looked identical to the one that was already installed. I replaced it and the identical problem and symptoms returned. I called Atwood again and they said it was probably the controller board. They said to take it to my dealer. Since I bought it as a resell from my dealer, it's not covered under warranty as I'm the 2nd owner. The dealer said they couldn't get me in for 3 months anyway. The only place I could find a board was on EBay, so I ordered one. Put it in yesterday and the same problem and symptoms persist. Checked the fuses on the board and all are ok. Found there is a thermal switch in the burner tube, or whatever it' called, and found that it has continuity and that the voltage goes up (millivolts) when the flame is present during the ignition cycle and that the voltage drops when the flame is not present. Seems as if the thermal switch is working. I'm at a loss as to where to go next. I've only been able to find 2 manuals, operation and service,for this fridge and neither provide information on how to diagnose/repair problems. I've found numerous ones for Dometic, but not the Atwood.

I looked at the thermal switch again. This is on the burner tube about 6-8 inches above the burner itself. It has one wire on the top and one on the bottom. In the center is what appears to be a button. The "button" has a red band showing. Normally when I see a red band like this, I think that something has tripped and needs resetting. I don't know if this is the case here, or if it just has a red band on it. I tried pushing and pulling on it to see if was a reset button, but neither motion changed it. I can't find any information online about this thermal switch to see if it does trip. I'm going to take a picture of it later today and call Atwood again tomorrow to see if they can provide me with any insight. I keep going back to the idea that the logic board is not sensing that a flame is present and shuts off the gas solenoid. This is the only part in that chain that I haven't replaced. Any other thoughts are appreciated. I'll continue to post as I find out more until I have a resolution in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Just an FYI, the igniter and flame sensor are the same part, (it does both jobs) and I think you mentioned you had replaced it already with one sent to you by Atwood. Just be sure it is mounted so that it is well placed in the flame in order that it can detect the flame being present. The voltages generated when detecting are tiny so insure the connections to the control board are clean and tight.

I am not aware or any "thermal switch" being used, but then I am not familiar with this particular model of fridge. Some models of the bigger Atwoods have an added a thermally activated black box that electrically locks out the fridge operation when overheating, (or a possible false alarm)  is detected, but it is a black box clipped onto the big tubes on the back of the fridge and usually has a red light on it when activated. This is part of a recall add-on and you may or may not have that on a newer model.

The Atwood HE models use helium instead of hydrogen in the coolant, but otherwise work pretty much like Dometics & Norcolds. However, it has a couple extra gadgets, one being a "thermal switch" that senses overheating of the cooling unit and another is a "tilt sensor" that detects sustained off-level operation. It also has a diagnostic mode that may help determine some problems.  I don't know if the red band on the thermal sensor i means anything, but usually a thermal shutdown removes all power to the fridge and it won't work in any mode.

Get the Atwood HE service manual at http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodreefer.pdf

My guess is that you have a problem with the flame sensor, which is different than the thermal sesnor.

Clean the burner and ignitor. The control board sences that their is a flame by detecting current through the flame like an ohmmeter.    Clean all the wireing connection especially the ground wires

I just had this happen over the weekend.  AC power was fine but it would not maintain the flame on gas...  I removed the shielding and blew out the burner with compressed air.. Cleaned the igniter. Tried to run it again and nothing... Pulled the igniter wire from the control box and cleaned both connections.. Tried it again and it worked like it should... Ran it through 3 cycles and no issue switching back and forth from gas to ac..

It's taken awhile to get to this point, but I have a working fridge again.  After 3 boards, 3 igniters, LP gas pressure check and the services of an Atwood certified mobile tech, Atwood decided to replace the refrigerator.  The original one installed in my camper was determined to be unfixable and Atwood replaced it under warranty.  I wish I could report a solution for those who are not covered by the warranty, but that's not possible.

WOW! It's hard to imagine what could be wrong that was not easily fixed once identified. Or that a reasonably knowledgeable tech with LP experience could not diagnose.  Well, glad to hear your problem is solved anyway. At least Atwood came through for you.

Back
Top Bottom