Firefox updates are available

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
If you've been suffering the missing Open dialog problem on attachments, the update to 2.0.0.2 fixes that bug.

Here's the announcement from Mozilla:

As part of Mozilla Corporation?s ongoing stability and security update process, Firefox 1.5.0.10 and Firefox 2.0.0.2 are now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux for free download from getfirefox.com.

Due to the security fixes, we strongly recommend that all Firefox users upgrade to these latest releases.

Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until April 24, 2007. All users are encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 2. Firefox 1.5.0.10 is available for download from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all-older.html.

If you already have Firefox 1.5.0.x or Firefox 2.0.0.x, you will receive an automated update notification within 24 to 48 hours. This update can also be applied manually by selecting ?Check for Updates?? from the Help menu starting later today.

For a list of changes and more information, please review the Firefox 1.5.0.10 Release Notes and the Firefox 2.0.0.2 Release Notes.

Indeed it has solved the funny opening procedure for attached pics.

Ciao,

Doug

I've been a holdout and continued using IE.  However after removing IE7 twice after experiencing difficulties, I am looking at an alternative.

If FF free for a fully operational copy or are there eventual or hidden costs?  Does it contain ads or any other commercial intrusions?  Do I need to continue installing and upgrading IE if I install FF?

Does it work with all websites, and all forum software?

Any other insights for a FF neophyte?

Firefox is free from the Mozilla people.  It's open source, meaning you can get the full source code for it and modify it if you so desire.  There are no costs, hidden or otherwise.  You do not have to update IE to use Firefox.  There are no ads, and there are extensions that will block out ads on web pages if you want to do that.  It will work with all web sites that are written to the HTML standards.  It may fail on pages that are written specifically for IE, but there is an extension called IE Tab that lets you load those pages in a FF tab using the IE renderer.  I suggest you go to the FF web site, www.firefox.com, and read all about it.  Download the latest version, install it and try it.  It won't affect your system in any adverse way, won't write to your registry, and won't affect your other browsers.  You can import your IE settings, like Favorites, stored passwords, cookies, etc. into FF.  You have nothing to lose and everything (like better security) to gain.

I installed this latest update. Then went to see if looking at photos,  like Jeffs Mexican adventure would be easier.

They are able to be viewed without going through that saving step.

But on the downloads window, you have option of viewing with your viewer or saving to disk.  I select viewing, but there is a block below where you can check and have this option to be selected on each successive time and this block is greyed out.

Wonder why I can't go all the way and check this block so I will go straight to viewer each time???

Bob

Bob,

You'll have to ask the Mozilla people about that.

I was able to install over the beta with no problems.  All of my extensions were compatible.  FF should have checked on the first run after installing.

It does a silent check on the first start after an update and won't tell you anything unless there are incompatible extensions.

On a related note, it is important to be sure that all of your installed software has the most up-to-date installations.  I, myself, cannot stand feature creep ? the phenomenon where software developers keep adding features to software that was once usable and now is unruly.   That said, hackers are finding holes in software every day, and the software updates are the developer's attempts to patch those holes.  If you don't have the most up-to-date software, you may be at risk. 

The sad part is that software you might have installed a year ago and used only once may still have part or all of it loaded each time you boot the machine.  This includes things like browser plug-ins that allow you to see things such as Flash programs on your web browser.

At our school, our IT manager recommended we run the service found at this link from Secunia.

Understand that I'm not endorsing this link; I'm simply offering it as an option.  When I ran it, it found seven applications that were out of date on my work machine.  The scary part about that is that I teach computer hardware and web design for a living, and my IT department is constantly monitoring my machine for vulnerabilities.

-Dave

Secunia is a good site, and unlike many of the other security scanners, it works in Firefox.  However, it only checks those items it knows about and isn't quite perfect.  It seems to have problems with Flash on my computer.

Yes, that's an excellent point that Secunia doesn't check everything.  I think they do have a page on their web site listing what they do check.  Hackers will always be one step ahead though.

-Dave

cougar3514v said:
...At our school, our IT manager recommended we run the service found at this link from Secunia.

So, what do you do when it finds six different installations of "Sun Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x" and it says 2 of them are up-to-date and 4 of them are not???

I do see six installations of "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0" in the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs.  If I delete the older ones, is that going to "break" some program?

mfa said:
So, what do you do when it finds six different installations of "Sun Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x" and it says 2 of them are up-to-date and 4 of them are not???

On my system, I show four installs of the Java JRE, but three of them are updates.  If this is the case, I'd leave them.  If this is not the case, what might have happened is that newer versions of the Java JRE were installed instead of updating earlier versions.  Usually, intallations check for older versions and delete accordingly.

On your toolbar in the lower right corner next to the time, you should see a small icon that looks like a blue coffee cup with red steam coming out of it.  Right click on this and select "Control Panel".  This should bring up the Java Control Panel.  If you don't see the little icon, you can also click on Start, then select Control Panel from the Start Menu.  This brings up the Windows Control Panel.  From the Windows Control Panel, you can select "Java".  This too will bring you to the Java Control Panel. 

From the Java Control Panel, click on the "Updates" tab.  At the bottom there should be a button labeled "Update Now".  Click on it and follow the instructions.  This should properly update Java, but I'm not sure if it will take care of multiple installations.

-Dave

Java is notorious for installing newer versions while leaving the older ones in place.  You can normally safely delete the older version folders, they'll be under C:\Program Files\Java\jrex.x_xx  Most people will not run into Java applets very often.

I've installed Firefox for evaluation on my system.  The first thing I noticed is the default fonts are peculiar, displaying familiar items on forums in a different way.  I haven't figured out how to customize the toolbars yet, but it's only been a few minutes since the installation.

Where's a good support site for FF?

Try Firefox Support.  Also, on the Tools, Options, Content tab, you can change the default fonts.  To customize the toolbar, right click and select Customize.  There are extensions that will let you put a lot of other buttons on the toolbar as well.

Back
Top Bottom