Buying a used motorhomeby Steve York
Items to bring:
- Spark plug wrench.
- Lug wrench.
- Heavy duty jack.
- Air gauge.
- Paper towels, wet wipes.
- Tires: Cracking? Excessive wear? Signs of mis-alignment? Proper inflation?
- Rims: Dents, cracks? All bolts present and tight?
- Excessive wheel bearing play?
- Brakes: Leaking lines? Excessive wear?
- Drive shaft: excessive freeplay in u-joints?
- Exhaust: Excessive rust? Holes? All hangars in place?
- Fluid Leaks?
- Any signs of chassis damage from rocks, debris, etc?
- Lube points look properly maintained
- Hitch - Properly mounted?
- Spare tire: Present and in good condition?
- Sufficient jack available?
- Holding tank(s) condition?
- Storage compartments - rust? Leaks?
- Recent emission test?
- Propane tank(s) condition? Any leaks (odors)?
- Overall condition - Hail damage?
- Signs of leaks or repairs?
- Cracked/broken vent covers, etc?
- Proper mounting of accessories?
- Oil level and appearance?
- Brake fluid level and appearance?
- Transmission fluid level and appearance? Radiator rust or corrosion?
- Radiator level and appearance?
- Spark plug condition? (remove and inspect)
- Loose hoses or wires.
- Air cleaner - Proper seal? Filter Condition?
- Carburetor - Clean? Freely moving parts?
- Battery leakage or corrosion? Water levels? (if appl) Charged?
- Belts/hoses in good condition?
- Signs of water damage or leaks? Check vents and windows especially.
- Fridge in working order on propane, DC and AC (if appl)
- Stove/oven in working order?
- Water heater in working order?
- Electric pump operating?
- Heater and thermostat in working order?
- Roof mounted air working properly?
- Converter works properly?
- All lights and accessories functional?
- Wiring appears safe?
- Sink(s) drain properly?
- Toilet works properly?
- Shower works, drains properly?
- Signs of propane leaks - odor?
- Windows and doors open and close properly?
- Entry door latch in safe working order?
- Owners manuals?
On the Road:
- Engine starts easily?
- Wipers function properly?
- Headlights, turn signals work properly?
- Horn works?
- Radio functional?
- Gauges and indicators working properly?
- Engine: Smooth running? Sufficient power? Excessive noise?
- Brakes: Positive feel? Smooth operation? Excessive pedal travel? Pulling? Noise?
- Transmission: Shifts smoothly? Excessive noise? All positions work?
- Exhaust noise or odor?
- Excessive steering play? Wheel centered?
- Internal noise, rattles?
- Windshield condition?
- Check hubs for excessive heat.
- Check for radiator leaks, levels.