Click the image below to go to our message boards

RV Forum Commuinity

Our sponsors

Sponsored by Fridge Defend

 Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Sponsored by Shattersafe

Sponsored by FMCA

 Sponsored by RV Life Magazine

 Sponsored by RV Park Reviews

 Sponsored by RV RV Trip Wizard

Sponsored by RV Upgrades

Sponsored by Composet Products

Overcoming UK registration problems

A number of folks from the UK have reported problems registering their motorhome imported from the USA. The DVLA reportedly measures the width of the coach, including attachments, and refuses to register a vehicle in excess of their maximum width limit. Here's the secret to getting a motorhome imported from the USA registered in the UK with no hassle from the DVLA.

  • Call DVLA HQ in Swansea (actually Morriston, a suburb of Swansea) and find the person making the decisions.
  • Drive down the M4 and take him/her to lunch at the local Plough and Harrow, just down the road in Llangafelach.
  • Practice a little Welsh before you get there (e.g. "bore da" = good morning).
  • Keep the beers coming before, during and after lunch.
  • Only mention rugby in terms of the games Wales won.
  • Don't call him Taff or Boyo.
  • Don't complain that you now have to pay the Severn Bridge toll on the Welsh side.
  • Ask for the special RV waiver certificate before leaving the Plough.
  • Promise never to take your motorhome down the Gower peninsula or clog up the narrow roads.
  • Don't forget to say "diolch yn fawr" (thank you very much).
  • Take the RV waiver certificate to your nearest DVLA centre.