Get-well soupby Dani
Here it is, that time of the year, when persons we care about begin to sneeze and cough to the point of 'past extraction'. That being as it is, we have been hit with the BUG in our household. SOUP! That is the answer! It has always been the answer hasn't it? This theory may be warped on my part. Perhaps the sick person gets well so he or she doesn't have to eat any more of the soup made with love. Well, one can only hope for the best and share recipes while waiting.
The Recipe serves eight "soup as appetizer" people.
- 4 cups of water
- 3 cups of chicken broth - low fat and sodium is workable
- 4 stalks of celery - chopped up well (I actually pull some of the fiber before hand - you know, the stringy part)
- 12 or more gGreen onions, chopped along with tops
- 2 cups of peeled and well chopped tomatoes
- 4 good potatoes skined and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbs salt - more upon taste if desired
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup of shredded broccoli bole slaw mix - found prepackaged
- 1 to 2 cups of cooked chicken - this can also be found pre cooked with seasonings or not. The chicken should be in cubes and I suggest they be quite lean as the chicken stock will serve as seasoning as well.
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 smidgens of cilantro chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 4 drops of La Yu Hot Chili Oil (optional)
- 2 sprinkles of crushed hot pepper (optional)
- Ground black pepper - to taste
- 1 infinite package of love and devotion - found on all "heart shelves", right next to Elbow Grease.
Start by combining in a 3-4 quart pot - water, chicken broth, chopped tomatoes, celery stalk, green onion, potatoes, bay leaf, salt, thyme, caraway seed, shredded cabbage, garlic cloves, soy sauce, hot chili oil and crushed hot peppers.
Bring to a boil.
Simmer from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Add cabbage, chicken, lemon juice, and sugar.
If you prefer that the cabbage/broccoli mix be cooked longer this is permissible, adding those prior to the other items.
After all ingredients have been combined, allow to cook to your taste(s) - Recall the old saying 'some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the pot 10 days old'. Feel free to modify amounts. The combination is delicious and far be it from me to squelch creative cookery. Remove the bay leaf and sprinkle with abandon the seasoning from the love and devotion package. Stir well and Serve.