Onion soupby Wendy Lawrence
Makes 8 servings.
- 3 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced (Vidalia's are really good when in season)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 qt. fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- slices of French bread
- 1/2 cup grated fat-free Swiss, or Parmesan, cheese
- Saute onions in butter and oil in covered skillet until soft. Uncover. Add salt and sugar. Cook 15 minutes. Stir in flour. Cook 3 more minutes.
- Combine onions, broth, and wine in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Toast bread. Sprinkle with grated cheese and then broil.
- Dish soup into individual bowls; then float a slice of broiled bread on top of each serving of soup.
Per Serving: 360 calories, 6 g total fat (2.5 sat fat), 1320 mg sodium (sorry!), 61g total carbs (4 g fiber, 7 g sugar)