12 v tv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawnski0414

Has anyone installed 12 v tvs in place of a light? Recently purchased a 2007 Georgetown bunkhouse and would like to install tvs in each bunk. There are no outlets, only a light in each. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 28A5BA84-CA01-416B-9B4E-74837DA49777.png
    28A5BA84-CA01-416B-9B4E-74837DA49777.png
    494.9 KB · Views: 3
That light circuit will likely not have much amperage available. Personally if the tvs were a must, I'd run a cord and fix it well to walls. Actually, in this age, I'd buy 2 tablets that could download movies etc.

I looked up a TV/DVD combo online and the spec is 36W at 12V. If the current light fixtures have 1141 bulbs in them, those are rated at 18W. What I would do is test the existing fixture with 2 bulbs and see how much voltage drop you get. Odds are pretty good that the wiring there is "just enough" for the bulbs that were installed there, but if it works at the higher draw it would save a bit of messing around.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I'm thinking, find the fuse that controls those lights and see what amperage it is. Then, research the TV(s) you want to put in place of the lights and see how much amperage it/they requires. If the TV(s) require(s) more amperage than the fuse supplies, you can't do it without rewiring the circuit. I'm betting that the light circuit fuse is a max of 5 amps, and that the TV(s) are going to want quite a bit more than that.

How big will the TV's be? Small sets may well draw about the same as a 1147 lamp
Now the flip side. And I disagree with these folks but the voltage in an RV is not 12. it's 13.6 normally and can go to 14.6 Some folks claim that is too much for a 12 volt TV.
Samsung's are 14 volt and work well on 12.. at least the one I have is/does.
That said Samsung has gone to SMART Tv's and .. I am not a fan of privacy invading televisions.

How big will the TV's be? Small sets may well draw about the same as a 1147 lamp
Now the flip side. And I disagree with these folks but the voltage in an RV is not 12. it's 13.6 normally and can go to 14.6 Some folks claim that is too much for a 12 volt TV.
Samsung's are 14 volt and work well on 12.. at least the one I have is/does.
That said Samsung has gone to SMART Tv's and .. I am not a fan of privacy invading televisions.
They're only "smart" if you have them connected to the internet. Don't do that and just use them as a normal TV.

This 12v 14" TV without the DVD player only draws 5 watts. Most newer TVs can play movies from USB drives. You will eventually need to convert your DVDs to flash drives anyway since DVD is becoming obsolete.

Here are some recommended DVD rippers that bypass copy protection. Depending on the software and the speed of your computer it takes 10-30 minutes to rip a movie. You'll eventually have to because DVDs will be obsolete like VHS tapes.

My 2019 and 2023 laptops, like most newer ones, are too thin to have a DVD player installed. So I can't rip DVDs anymore. I record off streaming services now. I use PlayOn Home that I set to record automatically overnight.

Maybe this thread is moving away form the original post, with that said; over the years technology has changed many times. When the 5.25 inch floppy drives became obsolete, I ended up purchasing an external 5.25 inch floppy drive. When the small 3.5 floppies became obsolete, I picked up one of them. We now also have a external DVD and Disk reader because or last several lap tops did not come with a disk drive at all.

As far as DVD's go, we also have a small portable DVD player that the grand kids used when in the car. Now, they have DVD players fabricated into the framework of most cars!

So, if you still have all those old DVD's and you know technology is changing and changing fast, get out there and pick up an external drive for your laptop.

For what it's worth, I hung on to my old Beta VHS cassette tape machine, later another VHS machine, just because we have so many home videos we did on Beta and VHS recorders.

Plan ahead. Another option is to take all those old movies on disk and convert them to a new format. There is nothing that says you can't do this with YOUR own copy. The problem arises if you try to resell those copies! For your private use, you can do anything you want. Try to sell it, and THAT's when you get into trouble.

I watch about one movie a decade so my vote would be to skip the TV's altogether, but watching my grandkids consume media would lead me to putting a little shelf and a USB socket (readily powered by the light supply) there at the end of the bunks. Kids, and I would say a lot of adults these days, watch a lot of stuff on their phones or tablets. A place to set a phone or tablet and plug it in to charge checks most any box you'd have. From there you stream from saved files, local wifi/media server or subscriber cell account. Even luddite me has content on a USB stick I can jack into whatever and watch/listen to something.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

So, if you still have all those old DVD's and you know technology is changing and changing fast, get out there and pick up an external drive for your laptop.
But like everything in the digital age an external DVD drive is only a temporary solution. For example USB C has replaced USB A on many laptops. You can buy A to C adapters but eventually USB C will be replaced by something new. If you do convert movies from DVD use the most current MP4 format instead of the older AVI or WMV formats because MP4 will eventually be replaced. Laptops are already being replaced by Apple and Android tablets. This is an ongoing process. If you live another 20 years you may have to convert your current digital content again.

It will still be years before they completely do away with disc videos. They still sell home theater systems, and although many today are engineered to play 4K UHD, they are reverse engineered to play Blu-ray (regular hi-def) and standard definition DVD formats. We have a video library of well over 300 movies, both Blu-ray and DVD, and our home theater system is a Blu-ray player, but it still pays regular old DVD's just fine.

I have quite the extensive collection of DVDs and Blue Ray movies. Whenever I want to watch something and can't stream it off of one of my streaming services, I check what it's worth on the Amazon. Usually, you can buy it form $10 - $20. Then I have it and can watch it whenever I want. I can't justify paying for a movie to stream it and being able to watch it only once.

I read these threads and am thankful I never got into buying/collecting movies. After watching the first time, I'm good.

In the mid-2000's I was doing more than a little business air travel, including a few international long hauls. I went thru a brief venture into ripping some movies down from DVD to store on a PSP at first (which also had some entertaining, time-killing games on it), then a tablet, to have something to do on the elevated bus ride.

Ultimately, ripping the movies, hauling that crap around and keeping it charged for use, was too much hassle to begin with. Then after seeing those movies one more time I'd never look at them again.

All of it's in my growing collection of unloved, obsolete tech. When I drop dead, whoever gets them can open a museum.

I always hated watching a movie or TV show more than once. But as I get older I don't mind it so much. One benefit of losing my memory as I get older :D

We try to go through our video library alphabetically. When you have as many videos as we do, it takes so long to go through them while still catching movies on TV that by the time we get back around to the beginning again, several years have gone by. Some of them kind of suck and we may skip it when we get to it, but some of them are good enough that we don't mind watching it every couple of years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom