1982 Coleman Redwood Seven - Re-build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmc_67

Hello from Alberta, Canada!
I am newbie here and I have zero experience about camping trailer :) LOL
I've just got a 1982 popup Coleman from a friend (with a price of a cognac bottle LOL) and it will need a lot of things to be done before we can hit the road.
There is a loooong to-do-list in my head now, but I will try one by one, not to be a spammer :)

1. Tire and rim (5.70-8): I found new tire on rim in a local store, but unfortunately they have 5 bolts, but my wheels have 4 bolts (see attached photos). How can I get them to be fixed if I want to go with these 5 bolts? Do some other stores still carry these 4 bolts pattern? TIA.coleman_05.jpgcoleman_01.jpg

Welcome! To change from four lug to five lug you’d have to replace the hubs (if the trailer has brakes, that could get expensive and complicated). Should be easy to find what you need locally or online to save the hassle.

I agree that it would be a mistake to try and change from the 4 bolt pattern, but I am also wondering why you wish to replace the wheel? I would have it checked by a locl tire shop before doing so unless there is some obvious problem that doesn't show in the picture. I owned 2 different popup trailers with the 4 bolt wheels and had a great experience with each.
1662392261471.png

I think the choices are to change the tire only and keep the 4-bolt wheels or to change the entire wheel assembly (hub & brakes). In fact, it may bey cost effective to swap the entire axle & wheel assembly as a unit.
Those little 8" wheels/tires make a lot of RPMs/mile at highway speeds, so tire tread gets a lot of wear and the heat build-up is awful.

I think the choices are to change the tire only and keep the 4-bolt wheels or to change the entire wheel assembly (hub & brakes). In fact, it may bey cost effective to swap the entire axle & wheel assembly as a unit.
Those little 8" wheels/tires make a lot of RPMs/mile at highway speeds, so tire tread gets a lot of wear and the heat build-up is awful.
Swapping out wheel/axle for 12" is good idea re highway speeds. That will probably also need suspension alteration to get clearance to the body/frame

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom