1986 Minnie Winnie Generator won't crank HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lostone1413

I have a 1986 Minne Winnie. The Generator will only start if the RV is running and I'm using the dual battery switch. When I try and start it without using the battery switch allot of times the generator won't even click. I replaced the batteries. Both of them. They both read 12.7 volts. More then enough to start the generator. Other issues that started with the generator not starting are. If you start the generator using the dual switch everything works fine with the 120 and 12 volts inside the motor home. When you unplug the motor home from the house and haven't started the generator you don't have 12 volts going to the motor home. At time when I start the generator with the dual switch on and everything is running when I shut off the motor home off sometimes but not all the time the generator just dies. I've had three people in the business look at it. None have figured out what is wrong with the motor home . What I was told was it was a transfer switch for the Generator. I was also told that in 86 they didn't have a transfer switch for the generator. I have to manually plug and unplug the power cord. Then I was told it could be the inverter. I was then told that the inverter has nothing to do with it. To me I feel all the issues are tied together. If I get the generator to start maybe everything else will work fine. Do you think it is one issue with the generator and the lights? If so you have any idea at to what could cause all this ??

yep it was checked at the generator
While cranking? The fact that it does not even click shows very low volage at the starter relay--too low to click under load.

Most likely you have a high resistance connection somewhere in your house wiring to the genny. Check voltage under load of the genny only when it will NOT start. Engine NOT running.

-Don- Reno, NV

Can you post the model number of the generator? Some of those older RV generators were exciter cranked, ie they used the generator windings to crank start the engine, not a standard automotive starter, the result was needing lots of amps to crank the generator, and needing batteries it tip top condition, along with very good cable connections to crank.

You didn't mention a couple of critical facts: Is the Minnie Winnie new to you? Has the generator ever properly worked?

I think you got some pretty accurate initial advice. There is a 99.999% chance you do not have a transfer switch and you do have to manually plug in the generator output to power the RV.

Also it appears your battery charger is suspect and DonTom's idea of checking battery voltage while under load is a very good idea.

Call or email Winnebago Owner Relations and ask them to send you a copy of your wiring diagram. I haven't looked in a while but I don't think their online wiring diagrams (or plumbing, etc) go back to 1986 year models.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom