2006 Jeep Wrangler Oxygen Sensor Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
I've been far to busy working instead of enjoying retirement, and haven't had time to go Jeeping in months. Unfortunately, I let the Jeep's battery go dead, but I recharged it so I could take it in for a smog test. It failed, and the smog test equipment said it was because the Jeep's computer was unable to complete three emission control tests... Evap, O2 sensors and O2 sensor heater.

When the smog guy learned that the battery had been dead, he explained that, when the computer sensed power again (when I recharged it) it needed time to test the emission control systems. The short drive from our house to the testing facility, apparently wasn't enough time. He said I should drive it around for a day or so, then bring it back. By then, it should have had time to complete the tests. He was right (mostly.) The Evap and O2 sensors were fine, but the O2 sensor heater test still says the test hasn't been completed.

I've probably put 75 miles on the thing - freeways, residential streets etc, but the smog test equipment still says the O2 sensor heater test hasn't been completed. One more thing - I've never gotten a Check Engine light, and my OBD II rear says there are no active or pending codes. Any idea how long it should take (time/miles) for the O2 sensor heater test to be completed?

Kev

There are videos and all kinds of other jeep drive cycle information available on Internet. I don?t think oxygen heater sensor is included in drive cycle. Wouldn?t make sense.

I do not know. Anytime my GMC o2 sensors had issues, it threw a code.  It was very temperamental with non-oem ones as well. Not disrespecting our great RV Forum, but you might get additional input from a Jeep Forum  ;) 

That said, here is a pretty decent video.  Your problem may not even have any correlation to the dead battery.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFX-c7Nanv4

SpencerPJ said:
I do not know. Anytime my GMC o2 sensors had issues, it threw a code.  It was very temperamental with non-oem ones as well. Not disrespecting our great RV Forum, but you might get additional input from a Jeep Forum  ;) 

That said, here is a pretty decent video.  Your problem may not even have any correlation to the dead battery.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFX-c7Nanv4

I am a member here as well - Not near as active as other forums though, especially in the KK Liberty forum. More active in Wrangler etc.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/

If two tests completed and a third did not, I wonder if disconnecting and reconnecting the battery again might help. TBH - I find the Jeep electronics to be dodgy at best... My Liberty has periodic real weird stuff happen... Often fixed by unplugging a device connector and plugging it back in again.

If you can find the connector to the heater or O2 sensor, replugging them also might clear the fault.

Okay, well thanks for the ideas. I appreciate it. I'll drive it around a while longer, and if it can't complete the test, I might disconnect the battery, reset everything and start all over - or just take it in. Thanks again.

Kev

There is an EPA identified Readiness Testabilty Issue with the 2005-2006 Jeep Wranger concerning the Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor. The repair is described in TSB #25-001-07. It involves rewiring the fuel pump relay and Auto Shut Down systems. The TSB does not explain how or why the repair corrects the oxygen sensor heater monitor function, and only advises to perform the repair and complete several drive cycles in order to make the Jeep's readiness monitors COMPLETE.

Had this done years ago and all was well.

Phil

My Bronco II and I are sure glad we moved to a county where yearly emissions tests aren't required. ;D

Thanks Phil. I'll definitely check into that. It sounds like it might be the problem. And believe me Lou.... I totally agree. We're traveling the country now to find someplace to live that won't tax us to death or try to control every part of our lives.

Kev

That was it Phil. I took it to a shop, and when I mentioned to the shop owner that there was a TSB on '06 Jeeps for this issue, he remembered it, fixed it and it passed the smog test without a problem. Thank you!

Kev

That's Great Kev.  :)).  It's always something goofy and usually simple. 
Here in Indy noplace, no smog tests but not best scenery either.  Good luck finding your next destination, personally I couldn't do the Cali scene either. 

Kevin Means said:
That was it Phil. I took it to a shop, and when I mentioned to the shop owner that there was a TSB on '06 Jeeps for this issue, he remembered it, fixed it and it passed the smog test without a problem. Thank you!

Kev

Thanks for reporting back.  Glad to help.

In  long term relationships with these vehicles,  certain issues can be anticipated.  So if the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) , formerly known as distributor has not introduced itself to you, it might be good to take a  look at the camshaft  and oil pump drive gear wear.

If you don't like what you see, contact me.  Complex subject, best left for later, if necessary.

Phil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom