2007 Jayco Jay Series 1007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zackb11

Hello,

I am looking at buying a 2007 Jayco Jay Series 1007 pop-up trailer. The information I found online states the following:

Gross Weight: 2300 lbs
Dry weight: 1574 lbs
Cargo weight: 660 lbs
Tongue weight: 185 lbs

This information matches fairly closely with what the current owner provided as well (maybe 20-30 lbs difference).

I am planning to tow this with a 2014 Honda CRV AWD. It has a stated towing capacity of 1500 lbs. I've heard tongue weight is roughly 10% of that, or 150 lbs.

Is this trailer too heavy for my CRV? Is that 1500 lbs limit the absolute maximum you should pull? If tongue weight dependent on the type of hitch I have installed?

Thanks.

-Zack

Yes, far too heavy, even when empty. Will the wheels fall off immediately? No, of course not, but wear & tear on the CRV will be severe (especially the transmission and drive axle) and the stress on the driver from white-knuckle driving is not to be underestimated.

The 1500 lb also assumes that the CRV is empty of all loads except a 154 lb driver. Any additional weight in/on the CRV reduces the tow capacity by the same amount.

The tongue weight needs to be at least 10% of the loaded trailer weight in order to avoid trailer sway & handling issues. It does NOT vary with the type of hitch. However, a weight distributing hitch can shift where that weight is carried on the tow vehicle, spreading some of the tongue weight load further forward. I've never seen a weight distributing hitch in the range you are contemplating, though. They start at tongue weights around 600 lbs.

Last edited:
I agree with Gary. Unfortunately, I feel if you try and force fit much anything with that Honda CRV you are going to be very disappointed with the outcome. Browse some Honda Forums to double check. I know they have a Pilot that is more capable, especially the older ones.

Thanks Gary and Spencer. I was leaning towards the CRV not being up to the task. Unfortunate, but better to know now than after I've bought a trailer and ruined my transmission. Not to mention how my insurance might feel if I get in an accident towing more than my vehicle is rated for.

Thanks

-Zack

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holtt
Back
Top Bottom