2011 Airstream Interstate 3500 Sprinter Model Lounge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgibbs

We are considering buying a 2011 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge class b motorhome and would like some pros and cons on this unit. It has 70k miles but overall appears to be in good condition. A few questions, Does this Mercedes diesel engine require DEF, What tires would you recommend (LT215/85R16), are there any particular issues with this model? Finally what would you consider to be a good and fair dealer and private purchase price? Amy info will be appreciated.

Diesel engines 2011 and subsequent require DEF, however check the veh. ID #, many times the year model advertised is built on a year old chassis. As for price, key up what you're looking for into sites like RV Trader. I did and right away a 2013 w/68k miles came up for $69k. Tire recommendations are Ford vs. Chevy, 10 people are going to give you 10 different opinions, if what's on there has aged out, but still look good, don't fix what ain't broke, I'd keep it simple and replace them with what obviously worked.

As for price, key up what you're looking for into sites like RV Trader. I did and right away a 2013 w/68k miles came up for $69k.
But remember that "asking ain't gettin". Try to get multiple samples too, cause it the range can be surprisingly broad.
What tires would you recommend (LT215/85R16)

That's a fairly common size with many choices. I'd look for a mid-priced model, not the low-priced no-name brands but not the high flyers like Michelin either. Firestone Transforce is a popular one, also brands such as Hankook Dynapro and Yokohama Geolander AT

I do not have any experience owning an Airstream but I have a little practical experience with them. At four different campgrounds in four completely different parts of the country I have had to rescue occupants of Airstreams. Seems an overly complicated door latch mechanism can disconnect from the inside handle and then the only way to open the door is from the outside. In all four locations we were either next to or walking by the units when a call for help came from inside that the occupants were locked inside. They all opened easily from outside. Personally, I would rather be locked out than in.

The Sprinter would have come new with Continental tires. They are noted for not wearing well.

I had a Winnebago View on a Sprinter chassis. It had new Firestone Transforce on it when I bought it, but due to the idiot dealer using tire shine on it, the tire sidewalls checked and cracked alot (ONLY the areas where the shine was applied) I scrapped the tires and installed Michelin Defenders and it rode much smoother with those Michelin tires. I had two different tire stores tell me this is an issue with certain types of "shine". Not going to argue the point with anyone, I have never used shine, and certainly will not now.

Charles

So far you have received a number of comments on the Sprinter chassis, let me reply about something completely different, let me ask how you intend to use this van? I say van because that is much more what it is than an motorhome. This is a floor plan designed to seat 8 people in luxury, while also providing a small kitchen and bathroom, while still technically being a motorhome with sleeping area for 2 on a sofa that converts to a bed. It only takes one glance at the floor plan, or one moment inside one of these units to see that it is designed to primarily be a day tripper luxury van with seating for up to 8, more so than a motorhome designed around having people actually sleep / live onboard. There is nothing wrong with this, if this is what you need, I think it would be great to take a large family on day trips to festivals and events where having your own kitchen, bathroom and place to take a break would be appreciated. Would it work for a couple to take camping, yes, it would beat having a tent by a long shot, but it is far from optimized for such use. Should you buy it, I have no idea, how do you plan to use it?

So far you have received a number of comments on the Sprinter chassis, let me reply about something completely different, let me ask how you intend to use this van? I say van because that is much more what it is than an motorhome. This is a floor plan designed to seat 8 people in luxury, while also providing a small kitchen and bathroom, while still technically being a motorhome with sleeping area for 2 on a sofa that converts to a bed. It only takes one glance at the floor plan, or one moment inside one of these units to see that it is designed to primarily be a day tripper luxury van with seating for up to 8, more so than a motorhome designed around having people actually sleep / live onboard. There is nothing wrong with this, if this is what you need, I think it would be great to take a large family on day trips to festivals and events where having your own kitchen, bathroom and place to take a break would be appreciated. Would it work for a couple to take camping, yes, it would beat having a tent by a long shot, but it is far from optimized for such use. Should you buy it, I have no idea, how do you plan to use it?
That may be why it's called the "Lounge Class".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom