2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger electrical powered truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hybrid is the answer until EV batteries have a major breakthrough in capacity and charging time. Especially in anything bigger than a small commuter car.

Going to have to solve the cold weather range/fuel economy loss on both hybrid and EV's or they'll remain to be used as City commuter vehicles.

fotw1164.png

Going to have to solve the cold weather range/fuel economy loss on both hybrid and EV's or they'll remain to be used as City commuter vehicles.

View attachment 168783
Hard to say. It is probably more of an issue when towing. But for the non towing application it’s not a big deal. We do road trips in winter and it doesn’t really change things much for us. We grew up learning to always drive in the top 2/3 if “the tank” in winter just to be prepared for long highway blockages etc. For us it involves an extra 15 minute charge stop on a typical 6 hour road trip. We are fine with the extra pee/coffee stop. Some are fine with that. Others not.

But yah. Towing is a different world. We tow a lot with our EV but never in winter as we are fair weather campers. 😂

That's OK, since 80%++ of the US population and almost 60% of the global population lives in urban areas. You can see why the EV focus is on urban populations.
And the reality is generally speaking the further north you go the higher the adaption rate of EV’s is. So the cold thing doesn’t seem to be a big show stopper for road trips. Certainly hasn’t been a problem for us and we do road trips thru the snowy mountains frequently.

Towing heavy is another issue of course. It’ll get sorted out in time.

You can see why the EV focus is on urban populations.
Which is a bummer for EV motorcyclists (like me) who like to take rides out in the middle of nowhere. But some areas are getting better and some worse. Worse because a lot of those charge stations are never repaired when they once break. There are several places I could get to on my smaller Energica motorcycle a few years ago that I cannot get to today because of the broken CCS charge stations.

But at least my newest Energica has enough range to skip a charge station or two.

When I can use Tesla Superchargers for CCS these issues will gone for my smaller Energica and that could happen next year (in 2024).

-Don- Auburn, CA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom