7 Pin Wire Incorrect On Coach Side?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeLight77

Need a big help if possible.
Installed a Roadmaster Invisibrake System.
First troubleshooting session, nothing worked right. Immediately bailed and started checking wiring. I'm very (fairly) confident I have the truck wired correctly.
It appears to me the 7 pin on the coach is completely wired wrong. At the plug, I got power (black), taillights (green), and brown was hot for both brakes and right turn. Nothing lit up for left turn.
So took the plug off, checked wires... All good. Went up to the next plug... (picture with my hand) starting at the top of that plug, 1 is taillights, 3 is right turn and brakes, 5 is power. Nothing for left turn.
So the problem is upstream of this.
My help / problem - does anybody know where the other end of this harness is so I can keep working backwards??

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1
First off, green is always right turn signal, yellow is always left turn signal, brown is always running/tail lights, and blue is always trailer brakes...always.

7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-1.png

First off, green is always right turn signal, yellow is always left turn signal, brown is always running/tail lights, and blue is always trailer brakes...always.

7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-1.png
This I get. My point is the wiring LEADING to this plug is bad. When I turn the right turn signal on, the same wire is getting voltage as when I hit the brakes. Which in this case is brown.

This I get. My point is the wiring LEADING to this plug is bad. When I turn the right turn signal on, the same wire is getting voltage as when I hit the brakes. Which in this case is brown.
OK, turns out this is normal (brake and signal on combined wire). - this initially worried me. However, I think now my ONLY issue is I have NO hot wire for left turn. I'm afraid the problem is further upstream on the wire, but I have no idea how to figure that out.

I am really good at wiring trailer lights, so maybe I'm not completely understanding the issue. Your brake lights and your turn signal lights are powered through the same wire(s); the yellow and green wires.

Which one is wired incorrectly - the truck, or the trailer?

So, at the 7 pin plug, I have a hot wire for right turn and brakes (which happens to be brown, for whatever reason), I have a hot wire for power (black) and I have a hot wire for taillights (which is green). I have no hot wire when I have left turn signal on. So going back further into the coach from the 7 pin, I have that flat connector. Same issue there. In the image of the connector with my hand, the top pin is taillights, the #3 pin is right turn and brakes, and the #5 pin is power. All others are dead or used for something I'm not worried about.

The colors being wrong at the plug I can fix easily if I knew that 1-6 sequence at that connector... So check out this pic:
1687733532534.png
This is the connector UPSTREAM from the 7 pin.
Green
Yellow
Brown
Red
Black
White

According to my HR manual Green is tail lights, red is left and brakes, brown is right and brakes, ground is white. This jives with what I'm finding (see original post) So on the COACH side where this connector plugs in, I only have power at 1-3-5, nothing at 4 when my left signal is on.

I'll rewire this connector and the 7 pin to match industry standards, just as soon as I can figure out where the problem is with my red wire... the defect is upstream of here.

Appreciate your help on this!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom