AC question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaxyAL1030

I bought a used Tiffin Allegro 2004 last year so this was my first winterization. I used a cover for it as I don't have a covered housing for it yet and that seemed to work pretty well? It's plugged into an outlet at the house which showed power running to the RV. I am aware that power of that nature will not run both AC units, but should run one okay, but for safety sake I started with just Fan setting only. I turned on my front unit and had no response, but the back unit came up normally on Fan. I checked the fuse box and the breakers were not tripped. Before I call the repair shop, I thought I'd check in with a forum to see if there may be some responses from those who may have experienced this. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums! Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here!!

There’s a bunch here that know a TON more than me about electric. But to help tee up your question for them, let me start by asking to help clarify. When you say, “plugged into an outlet at the house” what kind of outlet? 30 amp? 20 amp? 15 amp? Do you have a multimeter? If not, you should probably get one… doesn’t have to be anything elaborate or expensive; 20 bucks or so will do you fine and you’ll get a lot of chances to use it after this.

Putting the info about your rig in your signature will save you a lot of time..

I bought a used Tiffin Allegro 2004 last year so this was my first winterization. I used a cover for it as I don't have a covered housing for it yet and that seemed to work pretty well? It's plugged into an outlet at the house which showed power running to the RV. I am aware that power of that nature will not run both AC units, but should run one okay, but for safety sake I started with just Fan setting only. I turned on my front unit and had no response, but the back unit came up normally on Fan. I checked the fuse box and the breakers were not tripped. Before I call the repair shop, I thought I'd check in with a forum to see if there may be some responses from those who may have experienced this. Thanks.
Is it a 50-amp rig? Probably is, with two A/C units. What are you using for adapters? Each A/C unit on a 50-amp rig will be using a different AC line from the 14-50P. You could only be getting AC pwr on one side of the line.

You will most likely find other outlets that are not working in your RV. And the odds of your converter keeping you house battery charged is 50-50.

-Don- Reno, NV

If you have 2 air conditioners, your Tiffin most likely has a 50 amp electrical system. To run both air conditioners, you need a 240 volt outlet that breaks into two 120 volt leads into to the RV inlet. Thus, plugging your RV into a house/garage 120 volt outlet will only run one air conditioner. DO NOT attempt to run 240 volts to your RV inlet. That requires knowing exactly how to setup the 240 volt outlet to work with the 50 amp RV inlet. Done wrong, results in destroyed 120 volt appliances. Even professional electricians may not understand how to do this. I hope this helps.

The house 15A outlet is likely on a circuit with more 15A outlets. Everything plugged into that circuit reduces available amperage.
No that 15A outlet will not run one air conditioner, reason_ the initial amp.draw when the compressor starts is much higher, approx. 2,900 watts=24 amps. @ 120VAC; after startup amp draw reduces to approx. 1,350W=11A. So if your air conditioner runs, that leave approx. 1A for everything else on the circuit since breakers are rated for 80% continuous use. That is only true if you are not using an extension cord.
reference: RV Power Consumption Charts (& Printable PDF) - Generator Decision

BTW; running an air conditioner on low voltage(see AC nameplate) will slowly ruin the compressor motor.

Ok there are several possible answers I note it's a Tiffin. As I recall those are good rigs.
First if it's 30 amp with a generator one AC runs only on the genny. (Note you may be able to select which and they can be modified but that is a story for elsewhere)
Second if 50 amp your adapter may be faulty and only feeding one leg

Finally you might have an Intelletec Energy management System.. this can tell the difference between 15/20/30 amp and 50 amp. If on less than 50 it can cut off one A/C

Guessing that house outlet is a standard 15A wall outlet, NO it probably won't run even one a/c compressor, but it should handle the fan alone. However, that doesn't explain why your front a/c didn't at least try to start (and maybe trip the house outlet breaker).

Are you thinking that you need to call a repair tech for the front a/c? If so, before doing that I would verify that the adapter you are using to plug in is actually delivery power to both "legs" of your Allegro's 50A power cord. Get a cheap VOM (aka voltmeter or multimeter) to test that. We can help with that if you don't know how. Harbor Freight has cheap meters that are adequate for an RV owners purposes.

Before I call the repair shop, I thought I'd check in with a forum to see if there may be some responses from those who may have experienced this.
Like Gary, I'd bet that you are connected to a typical house, 15a outlet via one or more adapters. To be sure we need to know what power cord you have and what adapters you are using. In 2004, the Allegro came in 12 different configurations, ranging in length from 27' to 35'. Smaller ones had 1 air conditioner and I believe were 30a while the longer versions had 2 air conditioners and at least some of them were 50a. If yours is a 50a powered version the air conditioners will each be on a separate leg of the power supply and some adapters do not supply both legs, while others do. We need more information to give you an accurate reply or advice in how to determine what the problem may be.

I have run the A/C in my 94 Allegro 30 amp with a 15 amp extension cord many times, without any issues. I checked the cord and it never got hot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom