Active Start for AC unit. 20 amp or 30 Amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronthet

Anyone using either of these on your RV to run AC off small generator? I have a 15 K Colman Mach unit. I saw one youtuber run 15k on 2500 Champion dual fuel generator. That is what I have.
My question is if I want to run my ac boondocking or on a overnight stay and I only have regular 110 plug on the generator, no rv plug, then I would think all I would need it the 20-amp active start. My gen will not do 30 amp. I already have a 30-amp surge protector and a 12-gauge extension cord to use with dogbone from extension cord plug to 30 amp hook up on side of trailer.

any reason not to go with the 20 amp? Cost is so much lower.

A motor start cap isn't the same as a softstart device. If it solves the problem it's money from home though, for $15 I'd probably try it, but not hold out much hope. I know my A/C will run on a 20A outlet at home but my 2300W genset trips out. Not sure if that's the starting current overload, effects of altitude, or both. I would like to meet someone at a campground or wherever sometime that has a softstart on their A/C I could try with my genset before I'd drop the $300 or whatever for a soft start. Maybe the cap R&R would be a data point to try.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

A motor start cap isn't the same as a softstart device. If it solves the problem it's money from home though, for $15 I'd probably try it, but not hold out much hope. I know my A/C will run on a 20A outlet at home but my 2300W genset trips out. Not sure if that's the starting current overload, effects of altitude, or both. I would like to meet someone at a campground or wherever sometime that has a softstart on their A/C I could try with my genset before I'd drop the $300 or whatever for a soft start. Maybe the cap R&R would be a data point to try.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

quite correct, they are not the same at all..

a hard start capacitor is basically an extra bucket of energy thrown at the start winding to brute force it into action. a soft start device limits the voltage and current in a series of steps, slowly energizing the motor and spinning it up slowly. two benefits here. 1. less stress on the windings
2. current limiting allows generator operation without hitting the over current trip on the genny.

i have used both and the soft start wins every time. in my case, the difference in starting an A/C unit is dramatic, so much so that with the hard start kit the genny almost grinds to a halt before tripping out.
using a soft start device with the generator results in a modest speed up of the generator and a perfect A/C start every time. so much so that I can start the A/C in eco mode without fail.

My Dometic Penguin had a hard start cap in it when I opened it up, looked for all the world like a factory install. I installed a Micro Aire Easy Start and it removes the hard start cap. The unit starts smoother and does not have the thump it used to have when starting. I have an Onan 2500LP and you can hear and feel the difference.

Charles

I have a Micro Air hard start device as well on my 13K Coleman A/C, and a 2Kw Honda that is now well over 10 years old. A/C starts every time off the 2k Honda with no strain on either. Worth the money.

Another advantage is that I can run the A/C off a 15 amp connection in a campground.

Back
Top Bottom