Add GPS to notebook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

It's been some time since I tried, but in the past I tried a few different USB gizmos that supposedly added GPS functionality to a Win 10 notebook. None of them worked.

Wondering if perhaps anyone has found some kind of external GPS module that can be connected to a Win 11 notebook to work for GPS?

I have no personal experience with this but here is something you may want to consider. It is from Garmin so I kind of trust it. It's called the Garmin Glo 2

Scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a video review.

I have no personal experience with this but here is something you may want to consider. It is from Garmin so I kind of trust it. It's called the Garmin Glo 2

Scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a video review.
That's one I tried. No go. I think they even have info that it does not work with Win11... or something to that effect. I can sell you one cheap if you're interested. :D

I assume it wasn't GPS signal that was the problem, and it was connectivity/usability of the unit itself? These units need to have sight to the satellites in the sky....pretty sure you can't just plug in a USB GPS dongle and expect it to work indoors...

It's been some time since I tried, but in the past I tried a few different USB gizmos that supposedly added GPS functionality to a Win 10 notebook. None of them worked.
I used an old Garmin GPS 3 Plus with an external GPS antenna with a laptop on a Jotto Desk in my Y2K RV for many years. It worked perfectly with Delorme Maps. I no longer use such a set up with my newer RV GPS units. My old setup was handier in the days I had a passenger.

Can you elaborate on what the issue was of why it didn't work? IOW, GPS not detected by the computer, no GPS signal, etc.

Your operating system shouldn't have anything to do with the problem as long as the maps load that you use the GPS with.

I have not tried, but I assume mine will still work fine with Windows 11 (or ten). I still have the GPS III Plus GPS and RV antenna on the roof.

-Don- Reno, NV

I assume it wasn't GPS signal that was the problem, and it was connectivity/usability of the unit itself? These units need to have sight to the satellites in the sky....pretty sure you can't just plug in a USB GPS dongle and expect it to work indoors...
Thanks, but there was no issue with respect to "sight to the satellites".

According to Garmin, it should work fine.
As I posted it was some time ago when I tried the Garmin. Trying to refresh my memory now I seem to remember that the issue might have been with the particular version of the Glo I had. I think there was a ver 1 followed by a ver 2. It may have been a case where the earlier version was the problem.

I'll have to check all this when I get back later next week. In the meantime, thanks to all for the helpful comments.

Back
Top Bottom