Adventurer 35U Basement AC Troubleshooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had a great first trip over memorial day weekend, and the AC cranked on both compressors wonderfully - keeping us to a nice and cool 66 degrees (hit 87-90 on Sunday) :cool:

Glad this whole fun chapter of adventure can finally be closed out.

On to the next thing that will malfunction! (whenever that is!!!)

It was the relief of all reliefs when it ran as it should...

Now excuse me while I go and prepare to re-string my pull-down shades, as it appears this is the next thing that needs my attention! :ROFLMAO:

Does anyone know where you can buy new Panasonic compressors or some second source?

Does anyone know where you can buy new Panasonic compressors or some second source?
Your best bet is going to be contacting a commercial or residential HVAC company. I gave mine the spec right from the original manual, and I had 2 new Tecumseh compressors in hand in about a month's time. My guy added the 5 year extended warranty at cost, so I've got extra piece of mind there.

I want to say with shipping, warranty and everything, the 2 compressors cost around $325 each (I think).

You're better off going new over second source in this case - just be prepared to do a little retro fitting on the base (2 of my mounting lugs for the compressors lined up, but the third didn't. The new units were a little taller and slimmer than existing, so field adjustments were required).

Best of luck on getting your parts. If you're in or around Chicago, I can refer you to the guy that helped me out. Not sure what the non friends and family cost would be, but it's worth a look.

Were these R22 or R134a compressors? ...The other problem is finding 115V type compressors since all the residential types are 220V.

If you have a part number then I can do some research to know for sure if these Tecumseh type compressors will work. And thanks for sending the contact information of your friend who knows more about these things than we do.

Were these R22 or R134a compressors? ...The other problem is finding 115V type compressors since all the residential types are 220V.

If you have a part number then I can do some research to know for sure if these Tecumseh type compressors will work. And thanks for sending the contact information of your friend who knows more about these things than we do.
John beat me to it. They're R22 Compressors. 115V
Here's the link to United Refrigeration (which is where these were purchased from).

Much appreciated for the compressor info!

BTW, John, when I first became an Itasca Horizon owner, your posts on other forum sites helped me immensely. Thank you. And now, 6 years later I have become a pretty good RV mechanic out of necessity, but my DYI confidence was only gained from RV owners like you and many other forum contributors. So many thanks to you and everyone else who saved me money and time and helped me to enjoy my summer vacations all these years while zigzagging across America!

Last edited:
Not to hyjack this thread, but since we are talking about AC and how to handle 95F+ weather, here's a link some may find helpful if they want to add (and hide) a 8000 BTU portable AC to their RV and how best to power it off your ATS.

IMO, this has been the best upgrade I have made to my 40' RV.

Attachments

• 1 Finishec Point - 2004 Horizon 40AD Credenza.jpg
    1 Finishec Point - 2004 Horizon 40AD Credenza.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 13 49.4F Degrees Out Vent.jpg
    13 49.4F Degrees Out Vent.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 2
  • 15 Painted Vent Closed 2.jpg
    15 Painted Vent Closed 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2
Much appreciated for the compressor info!

BTW, John, when I first became an Itasca Horizon owner, your posts on other forum sites helped me immensely. Thank you. And now, 6 years later I have become a pretty good RV mechanic out of necessity, but my DYI confidence was only gained from RV owners like you and many other forum contributors. So many thanks to you and everyone else who saved me money and time and helped me to enjoy my summer vacations all these years while zigzagging across America!
Thanks for the kind comments! It's personally rewarding for me to help others where I can. I suspect one trait of a happy (most of the time anyway) RV owner is having strong DIY skills.

Love the portable AC!!!

Every coach could use more AC. And once you figure out how to accomplish this you need to cut a hole in your side wall to exhaust the hot air. This was no problem for the crew at The Reef RV Park in Puerto Penasco, Mexico (aka Rocky Point).

And with my brains and there talent, the whole job turned out to be a home run! So, if you you want to vacation in Mexico while you have Carlos install your portable AC... and you have Gabriel wire it to your ATS, all you need to do is bring them the parts... an you go get a margarita at Wrecked On The Reef restaurant next door.

Attachments

• 9  Top Removed.jpg
    9 Top Removed.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 6b Tape - Drill hole for jig saw.jpg
    6b Tape - Drill hole for jig saw.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 11 Install AC Thru Cabinet Door Opening.jpg
    11 Install AC Thru Cabinet Door Opening.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 22 ATS Cover Modification To Include A Circuit #2 outlet.jpg
    22 ATS Cover Modification To Include A Circuit #2 outlet.jpg