Aliner questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Audrey82

New Aliner owner here and have some questions (may be “stupid questions” but whatever)

Solar / battery power. Not a huge importance because at least 90% of our camping I can think of us doing we’ll have access to electricity…..but I do have solar panels & a couple batteries (came with the camper already hooked up).

1) we haven’t done any camping yet (will be heading out later this week though), but I’ve been to wherever I’m storing it to poke around / get an idea of what storage we have (and am realizing that much like our tenting days, most of our storage will need to be in our SUV, which works for us), and have intermittently tried to figure out how to switch on the battery power. I haven’t yet been successful in my attempts to find how to “turn on” the battery power.

2) refrigerator while towing. Some trips we’ll be going directly to our camping spot, setting up and staying put until it’s time to head home. Others (like our upcoming trip), we’ll be on the move staying in one spot 1-3 days and moving on about 6 hrs down the road. Will the fridge continue to run while we’re driving and / or will food left in it be ok for 4-6 hrs if the fridge doesn’t stay running. Just wanting an idea of how limiting I should be during grocery runs (all our stops are fairly close to “civilization” & grocery stores so other than a minor inconvenience of having to shop almost daily, not a problem to get food daily) I do also have an ice chest as an option during travel.

3) very rarely we may need to move from site to site within the same campground due to prior reservations. I know the Aliner is easy to fold down and put back up (my first time trying I did it alone in under 5 minutes) but if I’m only going a short distance at speeds of less than 5mph, is it really necessary to fold it down prior to moving?

I think I had other questions, but it’s getting late and my brain doesn’t want to work.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar enough with Aliner equipment to give solid answers, but in most trailers the battery power is always on unless specifically disabled. If it has a battery disable switch, it would typically be on or adjacent to the battery.

What make/model of fridge does it have? If it's the typical RV absorption fridge, it can run on propane while traveling but switches to 120vac power whenever the trailer is plugged in. Even if not running, usually the fridge stays adequately cool for 3-4 hours as long as the door remains closed.

Obviously, "best practice" is to fold the trailer whenever you move it. Can you gamble a bit if you are cautious? Sure, but the results are on you.

Hopefully another Aliner owner, or at least another pop-up owner, will come along soon and offer some advice. My last pop-up was a 1975 model from Fleetwood. :D

The Dometic absorbtion fridge is well insulated - if everything is cold you can drive with 12V power and it'll all stay cold just fine, or if it's just a couple of hours it'll be fine with no cooling power. I'm not a fan of driving with the propane on, but many do it without issues.

I don't have the folding Aliner but in hanging around some general Aliner forums the answer is never, ever move the camper with the roof up. Given that it takes 45 seconds to fold it's simply not worth the risk.

I read on a Aliner forum that they don't come from the factory with a battery disconnect switch. There is however, an inline fuse by the battery that can be removed, 20Amps, so I would carry a spare.

There would be a great deal of force on your Aliner roof if you go much past 5mph when raised. Driving it at highway speeds would be like parking at the beach when a hurricane is inbound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom