Amazon is gearing up to take on Starlink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Ah, just what we need. Most space junk up there.
Oh well, I guess if you have tens of billions of spare dollars burning a hole in your pocket, nothing ventured... Any competition to Musk has to be a good thing.

https://tinyurl.com/jawnpze5

Affordability is the key. I wonder about the future viability of these services given the expense and expected lifecycle of the satellites. It's good to hear another company is investing in the space.

Starlink has been a game changer for us, as our sticks/bricks is in an area underserved by broadband. It's unlikely we'll ever get cable or fiber out here, and cellular is as good as it's going to get (not great). On the road, it helps us work around the data limitations of cellular since our work takes so much bandwidth.

What I believe is, the ultra wealthy are gearing up for the takeover. ;) It won't take long for this thread to go political, I already smell the stench. Both sides of the isle are as guilty, yet the sheep stand and watch the wolves in action.

This is not news, they are finally launching the first 2 test satellites, several years behind schedule, for comparison Starlink launched their first 2 test satellites in early 2018, five and half years ago. They have no real schedule yet for when they will launch their first batch of operational satellites, other than maybe sometime in 2024, that is a big MAYBE.

There is a huge, under-served, market for high speed internet service, in middle America, in lower Canada, and Mexico. Around 20 million people in the US alone. It's a magnet for investment if the service can be delivered at a price consumers are willing/able to pay.

Those of us in metro regions enjoy high bandwidth internet, wired or wireless or both, and often forget the millions in rural areas where service is limited or even non-existent.

There is a huge, under-served, market for high speed internet service, in middle America, in lower Canada, and Mexico. Around 20 million people in the US alone. It's a magnet for investment if the service can be delivered at a price consumers are willing/able to pay.

Those of us in metro regions enjoy high bandwidth internet, wired or wireless or both, and often forget the millions in rural areas where service is limited or even non-existent.
I live in deplorable fly-over country. We have satellite internet that we pay too much for. On a good day, downhill with a tailwind, we get less than 10 Mbps download speed. I have seen it as high as 16-18Mbps, but it's been a couple years at least.

I live in deplorable fly-over country. We have satellite internet that we pay too much for. On a good day, downhill with a tailwind, we get less than 10 Mbps download speed. I have seen it as high as 16-18Mbps, but it's been a couple years at least.
You are a perfect candidate for Starlink, assuming you have something like Hughes now. My experience with Starlink is that it is at its best in low population areas. Higher population areas, not so much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom