Annular Eclipse of the Sun - 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edjunior

So in case anyone was not watching the news lately (can't really blame you), you might not have been aware of the eclipse of the sun event. In Houston, we got about 95 percent eclipse. If we'd still been in San Antonio, they had a total eclipse there. Anyway, I still think I got some pretty decent pictures. I'll post more later, but this is at "totality" for us. I got this with my Nikon D5000 DSLR, with a Nikon 18-300MM Zoom lens. I also used a UV filter, with a ND8 (neutral density) filter, and an old solar eclipse viewing lens that we got in Hawaii back in 1992 to view an eclipse there. It's just one of those cheapie things all the stores and other places would give out for free. I had to hold that over the zoom lens to take the pictures. But hey...you gotta do what you gotta do, right!??

Attachments

• Annular_Total_2 (Large).jpg
    Annular_Total_2 (Large).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Annular_Total_2_Crop (Large).jpg
    Annular_Total_2_Crop (Large).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 2
I saw it from the Texas hill country (Bandera), we had some high clouds which finally cleared out about 10 minutes before the peak of the eclipse.

I have the filter, and I meant to go out and look today because we had sun all day. I completely forgot about it until it was over. :(

Not so much here in the Seattle area. It was completely overcast this morning, but we did notice the telltale darkening around the height of the eclipse just after 9:15am local time.

Not so much here in the Seattle area. It was completely overcast this morning, but we did notice the telltale darkening around the height of the eclipse just after 9:15am local time.
We had a heavy cloud cover all day. We were out shopping and DW's Jeep auto-headlights came on then went off several times though while I was driving.
It was weird to be driving along then in the blink of an eye the dash goes black, then back lighted again.

Here are some more pictures. I had a bit of trouble with the focus sometimes. These are the best of what I got. I think.

Attachments

• annular_1_Crop (Large).jpg
    annular_1_Crop (Large).jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Annular_2_Crop (Large).jpg
    Annular_2_Crop (Large).jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Annular_3_Crop (Large).jpg
    Annular_3_Crop (Large).jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0
  • annular_4_Crop (Large).jpg
    annular_4_Crop (Large).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 0
  • annular_5_Crop (Large).jpg
    annular_5_Crop (Large).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0
  • annular_6_Crop (Large).jpg
    annular_6_Crop (Large).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • annular_7_Crop (Large).jpg
    annular_7_Crop (Large).jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
  • annular_8_Crop (Large).jpg
    annular_8_Crop (Large).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • annular_9_Crop (Large).jpg
    annular_9_Crop (Large).jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0
  • annular_10_Crop (Large).jpg
    annular_10_Crop (Large).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
Saw it in Vegas. We did think about going to a site of totality but it was too far as we had something booked at 4pm.

Back
Top Bottom