Anyone towing a 5th wheel with an F350 and 7.3 gas motor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Thoughts
Looks good on paper....DW would like to get a newer one, me I don't care. We tow the camper about 5k miles a year and do about that not towing.
Our trailer weighs in at 16k
I would definitely need the dually
I told her I would do some "research" on the gas truck.
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230607-111700_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607-111700_Drive.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 11
The main drawback to a gas engine is that the full horsepower & torque aren't available at low rpms, so acceleration from a stop or low speed is somewhat limited. When hauling heavy loads, a gas engine needs to operate at a higher average rpm level to produce the necessary power, this incurring more mechanical wear & tear. With modern gas engines well-capable of lasting 200k miles or more, the latter is probably of little importance unless you travel more than 30k miles per year.

On the "Pros" side, a gas engine truck costs less up front, fuel is generally cheaper, and ongoing maintenance costs are typically less.

The detailed pros & cons can be debated ad nauseum, but I think this is covers the big picture. At the end of the day, it's pretty much a personal choice.

Gary, the 7.3L is the Godzilla engine. It was designed to have a lot of low end torque. Not as much as a diesel, but more than adequate in my opinion based on what I've read about it.

Reactions: SMR
I'm aware of the 7.3L Godzilla specs and the torque curve is admirably flat. However the RPMs for full Hp are still 2x a diesel of similar power, and it takes some seconds to reach 4500+ rpms from a standing stop.

It's really a great gas engine for heavy hauling, though. I'd have no qualms about using it in a tow vehicle if I had reasons to choose gas over diesel. The $ difference alone (upfront plus ongoing) is a notable plus.

Im going to agree and disagree with gary on this one - i work for ford ( dont hate me) ,i filled up today diesel was $1.29 a liter gas was $1.44 liter
Gas 7.3 mileage - sucks when towing - capable yes - efficient NO
The cost of a deisel is spread out over its longevity.
Bottom line is you only plan on keeping the truck a couple years -Gas
Long term Diesel

It depends on where you live. In extreme cold (below minus 20F) during a cold unheated engine start I trust my 6.4L gasoline engine to more easily start versus our family's 6.7L diesel. Both are Ram 2500 4x4's. Just my preference.

I'm currently traveling with some friends who have a 7.3 Godzilla. They are having no problem going up hills. He's getting around 10MPG to my 7.8. My rig is heavier and I'm towing a car but I'm still impressed with that engine.

Im going to agree and disagree with gary on this one - i work for ford ( dont hate me) ,i filled up today diesel was $1.29 a liter gas was $1.44 liter
It's just the opposite where I live - diesel costs about 10% more than regular gas, and I think that is fairly typical of the continental USA. But this is the sort of thing I meant when I cited "reasons to choose gas over diesel". Or vice-versa. Others include the proportion of towing vs non-towing miles, years to amortize the vehicle cost, and probably more you could readily identify.

He's got the 10 speed. I asked him if he hand calculated his mileage or believed his mileage guesser. I never really got a good answer. :ROFLMAO:

When we had a 32' Honey motorhome with A 460 we were lucky to get 5MPG.

Thanks for the replies, looks like the 7.3 can haul the trailer we have. Still not quite sure what we want to do. DW would like a new or year old truck, so the upside is the wife wants a new one. I'm fine with the one we currently have and am fine if she wants a new one, I just want to make sure it will handle the job.

Friends that have diesels are having a lot of DEF issues and I think thats what is concerning her. The ESP plan is about to expire end of the month on our truck and the check engine light is on, going to dealer on the 22nd.
While I wait I will get some numbers on trade in and cost of new and see if it's worth doing.

I will do a follow up on what we decide.....LOL, funny thing is she has driven the truck 3 times this past year.

Friends that have diesels are having a lot of DEF issues and I think thats what is concerning her. The ESP plan is about to expire end of the month on our truck and the check engine light is on, going to dealer on the 22nd.
The maintenance and repairs required on DEF filters and other pollution controls needed on new diesel engines have pretty much eliminated their reputation for providing a long, trouble free operating life. It's what motivated Ford to develop the 7.3 gas engine as an option for the medium duty truck market.

Reactions: SMR

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom