Arizona Heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to the forum! Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here!

It won’t be frosty cold, but you can make it livable:

Slide toppers will keep the sun from being directly on them.

Window awnings will help keep the sun from coming in.

Big patio awnings can keep the sun off a large area of a side.

Foam ‘pillows’ are available to stuff in your ceiling vents.

People often put reflectex in the windows (like bubble wrap coated with shiny aluminum coating)

If the 5’er has a large window in the back (like often they do), park with the back facing north.

Welcome aboard!

Depends on what you mean by handle it. My last trip to Az was in May. I have a single a/c on my 31 footer. I could get daytime temps around 75-78. Overnight I could get it down to 70.

Two a/cs on anything up to 40 feet should do well, maybe better than that.

Southern Nevada, outside air temperatures up to 110 degrees, 36’ 5’er with 2 a/c units and a ceiling fan. Night time lows between 80 and 90. We could keep the inside temperature high 70’s to 80 during the day. As mentioned above, we covered all of the windows, except the small one in the slide out by the door, with silver-coated bubble wrap insulation. Available in rolls from Ace Hardware. We also put a portable a/c unit in back corner of the living area vented out a back window. Plywood insert for the vent tube.
The rv park charged for electricity and the monthly bills were close to $250, but we survived. July and August of that summer we ran away back to WY ;)
As always, YMMV.

There is no simple answer to your question. How large is the fifth wheel, how well insulated is it, will you be parked in direct sun or shade, and what is the BTU rating of each air conditioner? Do you have dual pane windows? How hot does it get? All of those are major factors in giving any kind of accurate answer. What the outside temperature is will also play a role. As others have said, the majority of RVs do not stay at a set temperature of 72-74 degrees once the outside temperature reaches 100 degrees or more. Better quality RVs typically can be kept to 80 degrees or so but others may get well into the 90 degree range.

My Arizona (& New Mexico) experience is that if sited in full summer sun, 2 a/c units in a large RV can barely cope. Maybe 80 F inside, and that's with awning & toppers deployed. A bit of shade, though, is vastly better and as the sun goes down, the interior temps improve a lot.

As Kirk described, there are a lot of factors to consider, so I don't think a simple Yes or No answer will be accurate. Or even helpful.

We lived in AZ for about 5 years and always left in the summer. We had a 40' DP with two ACs, but would never think about camping there from May thru August.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom