As of today, Rivian EV owners can charge at Tesla superchargers…with an adapter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the headline is misleading in this case again. Rivians could charge at Tesla stations before this was announced. Just like Fords could. And BMW's. The difference, I think you described, Don, was now all of the "approved" outsiders can just plug in without any additional rigamarole? The payment is already handled?
Hi skookum. You are sort of correct. There are a few “magic dock” superchargers where anyone could charge with an app. But those are kinda rare. Now ford and Rivian can plug and charge on any V3 supercharger without an app.

Hi skookum. You are sort of correct. There are a few “magic dock” superchargers where anyone could charge with an app. But those are kinda rare. Now ford and Rivian can plug and charge on any V3 supercharger without an app.

Ah, I see. We have limited experience with Tesla charge stations. Have only been to 1 so far, located in Quincy, WA. I have to assume that was a Magic Dock station? There's nothing else around. We paid with the app and it provided us an adapter for our CCS port, but this was all well before the headlines that Ford and Rivian could charge there.

There's no way the forum software does that. If it's any consolation, I'm a poor typist, and what's worse is that I can't catch my own errors (other folks' typos jump off the screen at me, but not my own). It doesn't matter which site I'm on, or if I'm typing a document for printing. I always have to come back later and review what I typed and correct my errors.
I am glad to know I am not the only one.

But you have an advantage here. You can correct your errors any time. I often don't notice mine until I can no longer edit them out.

-Don- Reno, NV

I am glad to know I am not the only one.

But you have an advantage here. You can correct your errors any time. I often don't notice mine until I can no longer edit them out.

-Don- Reno, NV
There's a 24 hour window for editing/correcting your messages. Because I'm conscious of my issue, I don't wait that long to review my posts. It helps if, when I read them, I assume the role of someone else, and the errors jump off the screen. I'm usually on auto pilot when I do this.

I learned this trick while being the newsletter editor for a local club for the last 15+ years. When I complete editing and rearranging, I'll save it as a draft and come back later (before publishing) to read it as if it's someone else's document.

FWIW we have the ability to save drafts of our posts here in the forum. They're saved for 24 hours and, if not posted, they're automatically deleted. I sometimes wish I used this feature more often.

Attachments

• Drafts.jpg
    Drafts.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1
I think the headline is misleading in this case again. Rivians could charge at Tesla stations before this was announced. Just like Fords could. And BMW's. The difference, I think you described, Don, was now all of the "approved" outsiders can just plug in without any additional rigamarole? The payment is already handled?
There is not even one Magic Dock in the entire state of Nevada.

CA, the state with the most EVs, only has three. And all three of them are in useless locations, way too close to other working CCS chargers.

The countless other Tesla Superchargers would not work at all with Ford or Rivian, until recently, even with the adapter.

I know because I was at the Version 4 Supercharger in Sparks NV, to see what would happen on my CCS compatible motorcycle with my adapter. The Tesla App said the closest Supercharger I could use was in Placerville, CA (with the Magic Dock). No way could I activate this so-called "CCS compatible" Tesla Supercharger on my Tesla App.

Now Ford and Rivian can use any V3 or V4 (250 KW) charger, even without Magic Dock, and also be plug and play just as if it's a Tesla. Billing is automatic, which is NOT true, even with Magic Dock with other make vehicles, for now.

It's hard to guess what Tesla will be doing with the Magic Docks--perhaps they are trying to go all-in with the "Plug and Play". But that means other make vehicles will need an FW update, even if they cannot get it OTA (such as with by Chevy Bolt and my Energica motorcycles). Does your BMW get OTA updates?

But the Plug & Play could mean a trip to their dealer for many makes, which will NOT be necessary for Magic Dock. But Magic Dock will not be Plug & Play.

Plug & Play means plug in and it starts the charge without doing anything else--no app, no nothing, all automatic, including the billing). Nothing to select. Easier than a gas station--just takes more time to "fill up".

I assume Ford and Rivian could get their updates for the "plug & play" OTA. So they were first.

The only thing I am sure of is that big changes are coming to make charging easier for most, with a single standard for fast charging--with no app needed.

I am wondering if Tesla is going to give up on the Magic Dock idea. IAC, they sure are slow with that idea. Not even the newest V4 chargers have Magic Dock.

I kinda think Tesla has not even decided. Perhaps they are hoping every make of every EV vehicle will get an update (one way or the other) for the Tesla SC Plug & Play. And Tesla has no control over that. And then the Magic Docks can be removed, as nobody will then need them.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
There is not even one Magic Dock in the entire state of Nevada.

CA, the state with the most EVs, only has three. And all three of them are in useless locations, way too close to other working CCS chargers.

The countless other CCS chargers would not work at all with Ford or Rivian, until recently, even with the adapter.

I know because I was at the Version 4 Supercharger in Sparks NV, to see what would happen on my CCS compatible motorcycle with my adapter. The Tesla App said the closest Supercharger I could use was in Placerville, CA (with the Magic Dock). No way could I activate this so-called "CCS compatible" Tesla Supercharger on my Tesla App.

Now Ford and Rivian can use any V3 or V4 (250 KW) charger, even without Magic Dock, and also be plug and play just as if it's a Tesla. Billing is automatic, which is NOT true, even with Magic Dock with other make vehicles, for now.

It's hard to guess what Tesla will be doing with the Magic Docks--perhaps they are trying to go all-in with the "Plug and Play". But that means other make vehicles will need an FW update, even if they cannot get it OTA (such as with by Chevy Bolt and my Energica motorcycles). Does your BMW get OTA updates?

But the Plug & Play could mean a trip to their dealer for many makes, which will NOT be necessary for Magic Dock. But Magic Dock will not be Plug & Play.

Plug & Play means plug in and it starts the charge without doing anything else--no app, no nothing, all automatic, including the billing). Nothing to select. Easier than a gas station--just takes more time to "fill up".

I assume Ford and Rivian could get their updates for the "plug & play" OTA. So they were first.

The only thing I am sure of is that big changes are coming to make charging easier for most, with a single standard for fast charging--with no app needed.

I am wondering if Tesla is going to give up on the Magic Dock idea. IAC, they sure are slow with that idea. Not even the newest V4 chargers have Magic Dock.

I kinda think Tesla has not even decided. Perhaps they are hoping every make of every EV vehicle will get an update (one way or the other) for the Tesla SC Plug & Play. And Tesla has no control over that. And then the Magic Docks can be removed, as nobody will then need them.

-Don- Reno, NV
I agree Don. Magic dock was an interim measure until all the manufacturers saw the light and announced switching to NACS. Existing magic docks will go continue on but I doubt you’ll see new ones.

Jmho.

I agree Don. Magic dock was an interim measure until all the manufacturers saw the light and announced switching to NACS. Existing magic docks will go continue on but I doubt you’ll see new ones.

Jmho.
I just found out via email that Energica is already dealing with Tesla for the Plug & Play.

I assume all makes will now be trying to get on this Tesla Plug & Play bandwagon.

But for many, such as with my two Energicas, it will mean a trip to the dealer for an update.

Not all EVs get OTA updates.

I know my Chevy Bolt sends out info, but doesn't receive any, AFAIK. The only reason I know it sends out info is because I got an email from my Chevy Bolt that told me one of my tire PSIs was low. I also got the message inside the car, of course. I assume this info also goes to the Chevy dealer for every little thing that's not perfect.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom