Bent tongue on 2019 Heartland Lippert Frame.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll throw something else out there...if the TV was loaded so that it already had a quite a bit of squat before hooking up the TT, then, after the hookup, the WDH was tasked to compensate for the hitch weight AND the TV cargo weight to get the whole thing leveled out, that could have over-stressed the the setup

I'll throw something else out there...if the TV was loaded so that it already had a quite a bit of squat before hooking up the TT, then, after the hookup, the WDH was tasked to compensate for the hitch weight AND the TV cargo weight to get the whole thing leveled out, that could have over-stressed the the setup
That's entirely plausible but it still doesn't excuse a shoddily designed frame. The frame on my 3,200 lb gvw 2007 Trailmanor with a ~400 lb tongue wt, due to the relatively far aft of center axle, was built like a brick sh..house and I had to flat stress it to get the weight off the rear axle of my Nissan Frontier. Lippert gets by with that kind of crap because business ethics now consist of "how much more can I make if I build this TT on this piece of .... frame vs. if I build it on one which is unquestionably up to the task". Over building to them is a phenomena which occurs when none of them fail, lawyers are there to legaleze away those which do.
The OP bought the TT with the expectation that it is built to withstand the rigors of ordinary towing. She bought what she could afford which should have zero bearing on the implied warranty that the TT is built to do what TT's do, travel.

Last edited:
Max weight isn't the issue, what was the tongue/hitch weight? I did note the manufacturer lists a hitch wt. of 810 lbs and a gvwr of 9,000 lbs. With gvwr of 9k your hitch should be capable of supporting a hitch wt. of ~900-1260 lbs. I'd be interested to know where the 810 lb. figure comes from. Perhaps it's a weight distributed figure.
The brochure weights are often for the unloaded trailer as it leaves the factory. The federal weight placard rules require the factory get a gross (UVW) weight & validate the axle/tire ratings at that point, so they often pick up an actual tongue weight at that same time. It's a pretty much useless value.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom