Cilajet Protectant, worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikemutt

We'll be picking up the new trailer next week. The dealer has offered a paint protectant application, Cilajet, which claims to provide excellent paint protection for at least 7 years, as warrantied. At first it was pitched as a ceramic protectant but that's not the case from what I can tell, not that it matters as I have no what a ceramic protectant is in the first place. In any event, the cost is not inconsequential, around $1500 or so, which might be fine if I never have to climb on a ladder with a can of wax and a sponge. The trailer will be stored at our home, not under cover.

Anyone here used this stuff?

Thanks

We'll be picking up the new trailer next week. The dealer has offered a paint protectant application, Cilajet, which claims to provide excellent paint protection for at least 7 years, as warrantied. At first it was pitched as a ceramic protectant but that's not the case from what I can tell, not that it matters as I have no what a ceramic protectant is in the first place. In any event, the cost is not inconsequential, around $1500 or so, which might be fine if I never have to climb on a ladder with a can of wax and a sponge. The trailer will be stored at our home, not under cover.

Thanks
We opted for Cliajet when we bought our Ford Explorer new. Definitely not worth the money.

Had a similar experience when I bought Chris' Lexus (but not CliaJet). Couldn't get the dealer to re-do it when we had chips. I was in the sales office ready to buy my Lexus and, when I said I wouldn't buy, they jumped on the service guys to re-do Chris' car.

Last edited:

Thanks
" At first it was pitched......but that's not the case". Apparently they don't know what it is and neither do you, and I suspect for their part it doesn't matter anyway. The chance that when your paint shows five years of being in the weather and you realize you were bamboozled for $1500.00 they're going to do anything about it is zero to none. The difference in the paint protection warranty they'd have honored if they'd sprayed it with a water hose and with what you paid for is nothing.

I'd keep the $, I'm not a fan of buying ANYTHING extra, I feel it is always a play and a moneymaker for the Dealer. When I bought my truck, the sales tactic by the final guy was so absurd I almost slapped him. It is where they make the money !!!! They are trained professionals to make you feel bad, or it's going to fall apart after you leave, or look less nice sooner. Wash it occasionally with car wash soap, spray 303 protectant on a rag and hit the decals afterwards, my 2012 TT still looks great, sits outside. Congrats on your 'to be' purchase.

Automotive quality paint these days will last 20+ years so it's a safe bet for them to warranty it for 7. If you got some kind of chemical or physical damage to the paint I'm sure that would void their warranty.

I suspect the Recreational Vehicle Retail Closer's Guild will be rescinding our invitation to the big Christmas Dance.

The #1 hazard to RV finish nowadays is the sun. If stored in direct sunlight it will eventually begin to degrade some finishes. If you are getting full body paint, that is automotive paint I believe that that lasts quite well.

Aside from the upfront cost, my question would be "what's the warranty"? So say after 6 years and 6 months the paint goes to hell, who gets to decide that and even if it's judged to be bad, what's the recovery? I highly suspect you don't get a new paint job out of it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom