College football

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Title IX was signed into law in 1972. It help force schools to spend divert money from men's sport to enable female sports. Women sports has taken this support and run with it. Still hear grumbles how unfair to men Title IX is but also seen examples of how women's sport still not equal ie: basketball playoff equipment room where men had everything and women had a sparse room (corrected after reported). Even though things not equal it is getting better. Equality may never be achieved until people can enjoy the sport without noting sex but I can dream.

I think this is fitting here since there can be some extreme differences of opinion, especially around a campfire talking smack about your favorite team. Yesterdays games were a bit interesting. Georgia was playing Alabama and the referees in the most important game of the season. But the final four for the national champions makes no sense. Tell me what you think. Let me have it now.:LOL:
We nearly ALL agree the state college football is in now is not good. The only organizations that believe it is the networks who are pulling puppet strings. ESPN, fox, cbs, nbc and abc are the puppet masters. The NCAA is going to crash and burn soon. It may take a few years but the pubic is pretty sick of getting jerked around by CEO's

When I played organized sports a bye was always considered an advantage. More time to recuperate aches and sprains and more time to prepare.

You also probably never come off a bye and play the other top ranked team. You are playing the winner of the losers...
Yup. Always looked forward to a bye. Of course, I have 2 prosthetic knees so apparently the byes didn't help all that much.:rolleyes:

Basketball, archery - girl's division, trap shooting - girl's division, golf - girl's division, tennis - girl's division. These are all sports that they had when I was in high school, and that many schools still have in CA.
I know 100% we didn't even have boys archery, trap, golf and tennis much less girls. I am pretty sure I would have remembered girls basketball as well.

Just goes to proof CA is historically more progressive and inclusive.

None of the above was available at my high school which is located between 2 major cities so not rural nor underfunded.
I graduated high school in 1970 in a medium size city in OK (a tiny town compared to CA). We had girl's basketball, swimming, tennis, and track teams. I'm guessing CA doesn't support sports because giving winners a trophy would make the losers feel bad.

I'm guessing CA doesn't support sports because giving winners a trophy would make the losers feel bad.
I get the joke but this was 1977 before participation trophies became popular.

I am sure that I probably am recalling things with a fog of 46 years. Somewhere I have a yearbook that would shed light on things.

Quite possible there was girls swimming...

I went thru most of my schooling in So. Cal.. in the '50s and early '60s and my high school did have women's softball, basketball, swimming, track, tennis but I'm not sure about anything else...
. I'm guessing CA doesn't support sports because giving winners a trophy would make the losers feel bad.
This doesn't need to turn into a "Bash CA" post... I'm kinda tired of hearing it...
Butch

I graduated high school in 1970 in a medium size city in OK (a tiny town compared to CA). We had girl's basketball, swimming, tennis, and track teams. I'm guessing CA doesn't support sports because giving winners a trophy would make the losers feel bad.
I forgot about swimming and track.

Some time awareness does bring change. Some things did improve for females between 1960 and 1970. To bad it took Title IX to equalize sports and give females opportunities. I bet the fact your high school had all those female sports is due to Title IX.

Heck, as late as ~1976 I was asked by a bank if I had my husbands permission. I was not married.

As far as size of your OK town I will point out all towns in the USA and most of the world are small compared to CA.

Your last sentence adds no value and is just a political throw away line.

Jennifer

Went to school in SoCal, graduated in '77 - post Title IX. Most of the sports we had were available to both guys and girls but some sports didn't have enough girls go out for them to field a team. We had 2 girls on our swim and waterpolo teams because they wanted to swim and were the only 2 girls that went out for swimming. We had most of the guys teams and the girls had the regular sports... softball, basketball, volleyball, track, field hockey, etc.. We even had a mixed golf team that had like 2 guys and one girl on it.
We were a big wrestling powerhouse but there was no girls wrestling team. Participation trophies weren't a thing back then.

Chef Duane, your high school appears to be inclusive and attempt to accommodate all. That could not be easy. Even today there sports considered acceptable for females or changes need to be made so females can play.

Who knows what the future will look like for academia and athletic of both sexes?

Jennifer

Haha, talking smack about college football is practically a national pastime, isn't it? 😄

Haha, talking smack about college football is practically a national pastime, isn't it? 😄
As for the referees and the final four, I hear you—it can definitely stir up some heated debates! Personally, I think the selection process for the national champions can be a bit controversial at times. There's always going to be some level of subjectivity involved, which can lead to some head-scratching decisions. But hey, that's part of what makes college football so exciting, right? Also, if you're ever interested in keeping up with Manchester United scores and games, I recently found this awesome website. It's been a go-to for me during the football season.

Attachments

• 1709898892389.gif
    1709898892389.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 1
  • 1709898892436.gif
    1709898892436.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1709898892533.gif
    1709898892533.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1709898892594.gif
    1709898892594.gif